2017 Smart Fortwo Electric Drive Could Have Range Of Up To 85 Miles
Though it’s still not entirely clear when the 2017 Smart Fortwo Electric Drive will launch (in the U.S. or in Europe), there are now working prototypes out there, and Smart is taking some European journalists for test rides (no test drives yet).
Smart says the 2017 Fortwo Electric Drive will make its official debut at the Paris Motor Show on October 1st (or perhaps a day earlier), so only a few details are being released at this point in time.
From Green Car Reports’ test ride of the 2017 Fortwo ED prototype we’ve learned the following:
- New Fortwo will be much quicker than outgoing electric model
- Lithium-ion battery pack weighs around 300 pounds
- EPA range expected to be approximately 85 miles (the first gen netted 68 miles)
- Level 1 and level 2 charging only…no fast charging capability
- On-board charger expected to be 7.2 kW
We’ll surely have lots more details this Fall when the 2017 Fortwo ED makes its world premier in Paris in about 5 weeks time.
Source: Green Car Reports