BMW i3s Coming To Frankfurt
It’s expected that at the upcoming Frankfurt Motor Show in September, BMW will unveil a facelifted i3 and also a new performance version – dubbed the i3S iPerformance.
Unfortunately, the lithium battery inside the BMW will remain unchanged (33 kWh), but the powertrain will get about 20 hp more peak power, enabling better performances.
“The increased performance of the i3S iPerformance is allied to a number of detailed chassis tweaks, including the adoption of a 40mm wider front track and a 10mm reduction in ride height over the standard version of the updated i3.”
BMW probably needs all the assistance it can get with the i3, as competitor’s new models (with greater ranges and much lower costs) have caused i3 sales to stall in several major regions, including the US of late.
In our minds, figuring out a way to shoehorn in an extra 10 kWh of battery (upping the range from 114 miles to more like 150) would be the most optimal solution to finder a larger market for the quirky EV.
Autocar listed what we should expect from the face-lift:
- subtle styling updates that help to visually differentiate it from its four-year-old predecessor
- re-profiled front bumper housing new slim line fog lamps in place of the round units used today
- altered LED headlight graphics
- revised sills underneath the doors
- reworked tail-light lenses
- a deeper and reshaped rear bumper
- new alloy wheels
- wider range of optional two-tone exterior colour schemes
- new range of trims
- reprogrammed the dynamic stability control system of the i3 to provide the facelifted model with added grip and traction in wet conditions
- an updated iDrive infotainment system