Highlights And Webcast From Tesla Supercharger Launch – “Travel Forever For Free”
With much fanfare Tesla launched their Supercharger into California Monday night, and while their was some technical glitches actually getting the unit out from under cover, the event was Tesla-quality hype.
Tesla CEO Elon Musk, standing in front of the Tesla Supercharger and charging Model S, spend a good 10 minutes giving us the background on the process, the specifics on the machine and Tesla’s rollout plans.
Of particular interest was that the statement that the Superchargers are not that expensive “due to zero marginal energy cost after installation” and that Tesla Model S owners “can travel forever for free,” as the units will be no charge to Tesla owners.
Some of the other highlights:
- Superchargers coupled with SolarCity (of which Musk is Chairmen) will produce “more energy than the cars will draw” from the unit, so you can be confident of truly green power in your Model S
- units currently charge at 100 kW according to Musk (although Tesla’s official Supercharger page lists the rate at 90kW), and 120 “into the future”
- Supercharging is available for both the 85 kWh and 60 kWh versions of the Model S (not the entry level 40 kW)
- Network consists of 6 stations now, that almost give total coverage of California (provided you are driving a 85 kWh/265 mile Model S)
- Network will expand into Nevada and Oregon next year, and will cover “almost all” of the US in 2 years, with total coverage planned in both the US and southern Canada in 5 years (over 100 stations), as well as limited coverage in Europe and Asia
Musk likened his Supercharger in importance to his SpaceX company’s first docking with the International Space Station earlier this year.
Also of interest, that Model S shown coupled to the new Supercharger at the beginning of the presentation gained about 35 miles of range during the 10(ish) minute demonstration. Impressive indeed.
Check out Tesla’s dedicated page on the Supercharger for no more details here.
Video Recast of Supercharge Premiere Event: