Here is latest video update from the Tesla Gigafactory 3 in Shanghai, China recorded on May 1, 2019 by Jason Yang, which once again proves the tremendous pace of progress.
Currently, Tesla's most important and biggest new investment is getting its shape. The first four months of the work is behind us and most optimistic expectations are that in another 5 months (in September), Tesla will be able to produce first cars.
As we can see, workers are completing the roof of the first building. The construction work seems to progress on all levels simultaneously, 24/7, reminding us of the images of the Tesla Gigafactory 1 in Nevada from a few years ago.
Tesla Gigafactory 3
When Tesla completes the Gigafactory 3, it will be able to gradually increase the production output of the base Tesla Model 3 to 3,000 per week (12,000 per month), which would be a comparable volume to U.S. sales in the past two months.
Video Description via Jason Yang on YouTube:
Tesla Gigafactory 3 in Shanghai China (May 01 2019)
Shanghai's rainy season will soon come,If you want to complete the first phase of the Tesla Gigafactory building in the summer,Let the first Model 3 come down the assembly line before 2019.It is very important to complete the construction of the facade of the plant very quickly.
Tesla Gigafactory 3 facts:
- location: Shanghai, China
- wholly-owned subsidiary (not joint venture)
- construction was started in January 2019
- initial construction should be completed by the end of summer
- production of cars should start in second-half of 2019 (volume production from 2020)
- initial target of 3,000 cars per week (between 1,000 to 2,000 per week by the end of 2019)
- expected total investment: about $2 billion
- purpose: production of affordable versions of Model 3/Model Y for greater China region (higher cost versions of 3/Y and all S/X to be produced in the U.S.)
- battery packs will be assembled using lithium-ion cells from various suppliers, including Panasonic
- expected volume: 500,000 per year