Volkswagen I.D. R was so fast that it's hard to imagine how the driver is really able to control the car at such speeds.
The onboard video shows insane speed (the average exceeds 200 km/h), as well as speed, rpm, throttle and brake indicators.
"6:05.336 minutes. During this time, Romain Dumas (F) lapped the Nürburgring-Nordschleife in the Volkswagen ID.R. An onboard video from the driver’s perspective shows what it feels like to drive around the legendary circuit at an average speed of 204.96 kilometres per hour. The impressive performance capabilities of electric drive from Volkswagen can be experienced right up close – this was the fastest lap ever driven in an emission-free racing car on the 20.8-kilometre-long race track in the Eifel."
Volkswagen I.D. R records with Romain Dumas behind the wheel:
- Nürburgring Nordschleife EV record (June 3, 2019): 6:05.336 minutes at an average speed of 206.96 km/h (128.62 mph) over 20.8 km (12.9 miles)
- Goodwood Festival of Speed EV record (July, 2018): 43.86 seconds
- Pikes Peak International Hill Climb absolute track record (June 24, 2018): 7:57.148 minutes
Volkswagen I.D. R specs:
- 0-100 km/h (62 mph) in 2.25 seconds
- two electric motors with a total of 500 kW of power and 650 Nm of torque
- curb weight 1,100 kg
Gallery: Volkswagen I.D. R at the Nürburgring Nordschleife
Bonus: I.D. R sets all-time Pikes Peak International Hill Climb record in 2018: 7:57.148