New passenger car registrations in France increased in February by more than 9 percent year-over-year to 126,237, although sales are still much lower than in the previous years (like 172,438 in February 2019).
Meanwhile, plug-in electric car sales far outpaced the general market and gains market share.
According to L’Avere-France, last month some 31,820 new plug-in vehicles were registered in France (up 31.5 percent year-over-year), including 30,088 passenger plug-in cars (up 30 percent), which represented 23.8 percent of the market (vs. 20.1 percent a year ago).
We are especially happy to see how strong the all-electric car segment is. The number of passenger BEV registrations increased by nearly 46 percent year-over-year to 19,595, taking 15.5 percent of the total market. Plug-in hybrids were also up, but only slightly - by eight percent (10,493 cars).
New plug-in vehicle registrations:
- Passenger BEVs: 19,595 (up 46%) at 15.5% market share
- Passenger PHEVs: 10,493 (up 8%) at 8.3% market share
- Light commercial BEVs: 1,695 (up 72%) at 6.4% market share
- Light commercial PHEVs: 37 (down 47%)
- Total plug-ins: 31,820 (up 31.5%)
Plug-in car sales in France – February 2023
So far this year, some 58,823 new plug-in electric vehicles were registered in France (up 36 percent year-over-year), including over 55,000 passenger plug-in cars (up 30 percent year-over-year and 23.8 percent market share).
- Passenger BEVs: 34,224 (up 45%) at 14.4% market share
- Passenger PHEVs: 20,794 (up 18%) at 8.7% market share
- Light commercial BEVs: 3,746 (up 100%)
- Light commercial PHEVs: 59 (down 50%)
- Total plug-ins: 58,823 (up 36%)
*some data on the charts are estimated
The best-selling model in France is the Dacia Spring, an entry-level city car from the broader Renault Group. It noted 2,872 registrations in February and 4,783 so far this year.
So far this year, the top three BEVs in France are the Dacia Spring, Fiat 500 electric (3,517), and Peugeot e-208 (3,428), although the Tesla Model Y might join the club in March (currently it has 2,909 registrations under the belt).
Detailed numbers of plug-in car registrations are provided by L’Avere-France: