Let's take a quick look a the Tesla Gigafactory a while before the Chinese New Year.
We start a new week with not one, but two videos from the Tesla Gigafactory 3 in Shanghai, shared by Jason Yang and 乌瓦 .
The expansion of the factory is progressing basically on all fronts, including construction of a new stage, adjacent to the main building on the southern part.
There aren't many Made-in-China (MIC) Model 3 waiting for the delivery, which means that things are now going smoothly.
China is gearing up for the Chinese New Year (January 25) and family reunions so things will slow down in the country now.
Video Description via Jason Yang on YouTube:
(Jan 17 2020)One week later is Chinese New Year, GF3 is still stepping up construction
One week later is Chinese New Year, Model 3 sent to other places has stopped shipping, obviously the production line has not stopped,GF3 is still stepping up construction.If Chinese New Year doesn't stop, it would be crazy.
The huge parking lot for the newly produced cars was almost empty this time
The phase two expansion in the southern part - Tesla started new stage:
Images from January 19:
It must be something special here:
And here is the second video:
Video Description via 乌瓦 on YouTube:
（JAN 19）The second phase of the production line is under construction\Tesla GF 3 in shanghai特斯拉上海工厂
The Chinese New Year is getting closer, and the temperature in Shanghai is getting lower and lower. Today, the sun finally showed its face, and the light passed through the mist and shone weakly on the ground. Taking advantage of the good weather, I rushed to the Lingang Tesla Shanghai factory again. What I saw today and last week have not changed much. On the parking lot in the factory, the pallet trucks for the MODEL3 are transported back and forth between Nangang and the factory, and the MODEL3 from the production workshop is constantly driven out and transported away. Inside the venue, we still saw where the red MODEL3 was still parked, waiting for its owner. The second phase of the production line in the factory is being stepped up, but we have seen few construction workers. Four days later, the Chinese New Year's Eve is about to come. This is a reunion night. According to Chinese customs, loved ones who are far away from home have to rush home to have a family reunion dinner. We would like to express our best wishes to all the builders of Tesla. I wish you a happy Chinese New Year and a happy family!
Next, the channel update may be slower, I hope everyone understands! Happy New Year to everyone!
Tesla Gigafactory 3 facts:
- location: Shanghai, China
- wholly-owned subsidiary (not joint venture)
- expected total investment: about $2 billion
- construction was started in January 2019
- purpose: production of affordable versions of Model 3/Model Y for greater China region (higher cost versions of 3/Y and all S/X to be produced in the U.S.)
- battery packs will be assembled using lithium-ion cells from various suppliers, including Panasonic
- expected volume: 150,000 per year in the first phase and 500,000 per year in the future
- Targets: production of cars (between 1,000 to 2,000 per week by the end of 2019) to start in the second-half of 2019 (volume production, of 3,000 cars per week initially, from 2020),
- First customer deliveries of Made-in-China (MIC) Model 3 happened on December 30, 2019
- Elon Musk officially announced Model Y program at Gigafactory 3 on January 7, 2020
- Tesla was able to achieve production rate of about 280 cars a day (10-hour shift) or almost 2,000 a week in December 2019. The production capacity was up to 3,000 cars per week. Production of battery packs started in December 2019 (but at the time not yet at the rate of car production).