Volkswagen just released the eagerly awaited onboard video from the ID.R's record-breaking run on Tianmen Shan Big Gate Road (Tianmen Mountain), China.
It's hard to describe the footage from a driver’s perspective as it's unbelievable and insanely quick, without mercy to electric motors, brakes and suspension. The torque of EVs is simply breathtaking, even uphill - like teleportation to the next corner.
Volkswagen ID.R reached the “Heaven’s Gate” in 7:38.585.
- Tianmen Shan Big Gate Road length: 10.906 km (6.778 miles)
- 99 hairpins
- 164 braking maneuvers
- speed varied between 25 km/h (15.5 mph) in the slowest corner to 218 km/h (135.5 mph) on the longest straight
Gallery: Volkswagen ID.R - Tianmen Shan Big Gate Road
Volkswagen I.D. R with Romain Dumas behind the wheel is kind of a record collector for VW:
- Tianmen Shan Big Gate Road absolute record (September 2, 2019): 7:38.585
- Nürburgring Nordschleife EV record (June 3, 2019): 6:05.336 minutes at an average speed of 206.96 km/h (128.62 mph) over 20.8 km (12.9 miles)
- Goodwood Festival of Speed absolute track record (July 6, 2019): 39.9 seconds (improved previous personal EV record of 43.86 seconds from July, 2018 and 41.18 seconds absolute track record from July 5, 2019)
- absolute track record (June 24, 2018): 7:57.148 minutes
Here are infographics with the Nürburgring Nordschleife and Pikes Peak International Hill Climb records (* car specification differs depending on the event):