The new beautiful and high-quality footage accompanied with calm music was provided by Jason Yang, one of the Tesla enthusiasts who is checking in on the progress of the new plant from time to time.
Tesla Gigafactory 3
At the current pace the main construction, the roof and wall should be ready by the end of this month.
Hopefully, the Gigafactory will enable Tesla to expand in China and get decent market share, which so far has not been achieved by any EV maker from Europe or North America, as long as plug-in electric cars are concerned.
Video Description via Jason Yang on YouTube:
Tesla Gigafactory 3 in Shanghai China （May 07 2019)
We know that Tesla plans to start pilot production runs from September onwards, and is targeting the start of full production of the Model 3 for sometime in Q4 this year. CEO Elon Musk said in the recent Q1 earnings call:“It looks like we’ll reach volume production at the end of this year with, let’s say, more than 1,000 cars a week, maybe 2,000 from Shanghai Giga at the end of this year. That’s what it looks like to be the case right now. If it’s not at the end, it will be shortly thereafter.”
The second video - from JayinShanghai - shows us the progress over several months:
Tesla Gigafactory 3 facts:
- location: Shanghai, China
- wholly-owned subsidiary (not joint venture)
- construction was started in January 2019
- initial construction should be completed by the end of summer
- production of cars should start in second-half of 2019 (volume production from 2020)
- initial target of 3,000 cars per week (between 1,000 to 2,000 per week by the end of 2019)
- expected total investment: about $2 billion
- purpose: production of affordable versions of Model 3/Model Y for greater China region (higher cost versions of 3/Y and all S/X to be produced in the U.S.)
- battery packs will be assembled using lithium-ion cells from various suppliers, including Panasonic
- expected volume: 500,000 per year