Yesterday was the final opportunity to test the cars ahead of the 2021 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb race, but as it turns out, many teams skipped it.
Tesla Model S Plaid (#42, Randy Pobst) visited the nearby Pikes Peak International Raceway to do some tests instead. After all, Randy Pobst's best time in the Upper Section (02:40.86 on June 22) was not beaten by anyone from the Exhibition class (see the table here - Friday, June 25 - Upper Section).
Unplugged Performance explains:
"Project Dark Helmet Intro Drift - UP Tesla Model S Plaid With Randy Pobst
Our longtime friend and driver @Randy Pobst was enlisted to debut our Model S Plaid race car at Pikes Peak. During testing at PPIR this morning Randy found himself with some used Yokohama slicks end of day. We felt these great tires deserved a proper send off. Drifting ensued and tires were annihilated with 1020 Plaid horsepower. There is no more honorable tire death than Randy Pobst drifting in a Tesla Model S Plaid.
As for the car…We call it Dark Helmet."
The 2018 Tesla Model 3 (#90, Daijiro Yoshihara) also did not clock any time, which left a single EV - 2021 Tesla Model 3 (#88, Joshua Allan) on the track, with the top time in the Exhibition class (02:55.83).
Here we can take a look at the #90 Tesla Model 3 preparations for the event:
Tesla Model S Plaid specs
- up to 390 miles (628 km) of EPA est. range
- battery capacity: N/A
- 0-60 mph (96.5 km/h) in 1.99 seconds (*with rollout subtracted)
0-100 km/h (62 mph) in 2.1 seconds (*with rollout subtracted)
MotorTrend's 0-60 mph (asphalt, no rollout): 2.28 seconds; 2.3 seconds according to ICSI
- 1/4 mile 9.23 seconds at 155 mph trap speed
Jay Leno's 1/4 mile record of 9.247 seconds at 152.16 mph trap speed
- top speed of 200 mph (322 km) †when equipped with the proper wheels and tires (available fall 2021)
- three-motor all-wheel drive (one motor in the front and two motors in the rear)
- system output: 1,020 hp (about 760 kW)
- DC fast charging: at up to 250 kW (Superchargers)
can replenish 187 miles (301 km) in 15 minutes
- Drag Coefficient 0.208 Cd
- Wheels 19" or 21"
- Cargo 28 cu ft
- Weight 4,766 lbs (2,162 kg)