Norway has closed the year 2021 with a new, plug-in electric car sales record as the market is almost entirely electrified.
According to the official data, 18,509 new passenger plug-in cars were registered during the month (up 3.3% year-over-year), which is a new monthly record. The previous one of 17,910 was exactly a year earlier in December 2020.
The plug-in market share was at a near-record level of 90.0% (almost 3 percentage points more than a year ago), which leaves just 10% for the other types of cars. The overall car registrations stand at 20,567 (on par with the previous year).
All-electric car sales were at a near-record level, while plug-in hybrids actually reached a new record of 4,706, which is a surprise after a few weaker months.
Stats for the month:
- BEVs: 13,803 (up 0.6%, at 67.1% market share) + 828 "used" + 377 new vans
- PHEVs: 4,706 (up 12.3%, at 22.9% market share)
- Total: 18,509 (up 3.3%, at 90.0% market share)
New passenger plug-in car registrations in Norway – December 2021
In 2021, almost 152,000 new passenger plug-ins were registered, which is over 86% of the total market. The remaining part is shared by conventional and hybrid models.
- BEVs: 113,751 (up 48%, at 64.5% market share)
- PHEVs: 38,166 (up 32%, at 21.7% market share)
- Total: 151,917 (up 44%, at 86.2% market share)
It's very likely that in 2022, plug-ins will take more than 90% share. BEVs might be above 70%.
The gasoline, diesel and non-rechargeable hybrids are marginalized to less than 14% of the market in 2021 and in December specifically to just 10% (3.3% gasoline, 3.5% diesel, 3.2% hybrids):
The Tesla Model Y was the best-selling car in December with 2,379 units, which allowed it to almost break into the top three for the year. The Model Y finished fourth with 8,267 units. Not bad considering that it was delivered only in the second half of the year.
Those two cars allowed the Tesla brand to be the most popular one in Norway in 2021, with a total of 20,397 units and a market share of 11.6%.
The third best-selling electric model in December, and the second year-to-date was the Volkswagen ID.4 with respectively 718 and 8,645 units. Volkswagen was also the second most popular in 2021 with a total of 16,926 units (9.6% market share).
If we count all three MEB-based SUVs (Volkswagen ID.4, Audi Q4 e-tron and Skoda Enyaq iV) as one, it would be 1,815 (17,597 YTD).
Most of the top 20 models are all-electric, and many are newly launched, including the Hyundai Ioniq 5 with 3,557 units in just several months.
The BEV registration results already in our database (year-to-date):
- Tesla Model 3 - 1,968 (12,058 YTD)
- Volkswagen ID.4 - 718 (8,645 YTD)
- Tesla Model Y - 2,379 (8,267 YTD)
- Ford Mustang Mach-E - 319 (6,160 YTD)
- Audi e-tron - 324 (5,745 YTD)
- Skoda Enyaq iV - 528 (5,711 YTD)
- Nissan LEAF - 711 (5,313 YTD)
- Polestar 2 - 317 (4,103 YTD)
- Mercedes-Benz EQC - 244 (3,946 YTD)
- Hyundai Ioniq 5 - 441 (3,557 YTD)
- Audi Q4 e-tron - 569 (3,241 YTD)
- Volkswagen ID.3 - 249 (3,209 YTD)
- MG ZS EV - 159 (2,538 YTD)
Unfortunately, the basic report does not reveal the share of plug-ins for Toyota RAV4 and Volvo XC40 (one of the top models in Norway).