The Japanese manufacturer so far hasn't shown much interest in all-electric or plug-in hybrid cars and also the current approach is nothing more than compliance.
So far, sales are estimated at just 261 after five months, which places Crosstrek Hybrid in the lower part of the sales table.
Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid is equipped with Toyota Prius Prime tech, including an 8.8 kWh lithium-ion battery for 17 miles (27 km) of EPA all-electric range. Subaru decided to keep the mechanical all-wheel-drive system to not increase costs on developing a separate rear drive unit.
For those looking for a PHEV capable of some adventures from time to time it could be an interesting model. And it's quicker than the regular version. The drawback is compromised trunk space and a higher price tag of $35,970 ($31,468 after deducting federal tax credit).
More about Subaru
Video Description via Driven Car Reviews on YouTube:
Driven! The 2019 Subaru Crosstrek Plug-In Hybrid
It’s a Subaru first! A car with Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive and an electric charge port. The 2019 Subaru Crosstrek Plug-In Hybrid gets a little help from Toyota’s parts bin, but remains true to Subie dynamics. Tom Voelk reviews the pluses and minuses of this hybrid system. Some buyers will want more pure EV range and others will need the full capacity of the standard Crosstrek trunk. But this plug-in hybrid works well for the right owners.
Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid specs:
- 8.8 kWh battery (5.5 kWh usable), 25.0 Ah; 351.5V
- all-electric range of 17 miles (27 km) (EV mode up to 65 mph); total range: 480 (772 km)
- 0-60 mph in around 9-10 seconds
- Towing capacity: 1,000 lb. (class 1); 100-lb. tongue capacity
- System output: 148hp from 2.0L engine (137hp @ 5,600 rpm), Lineartronic CVT (continuously variable transmission) and two electric motor-generators: MG1 Operates as power generator to charge and maintain the high-voltage hybrid battery. MG1 is also the starter motor and generator for the gasoline engine. MG2 supplies electrical drivetrain power output for the hybrid and electric vehicle (EV) driving modes. Also provides charging for the high-voltage hybrid battery during regenerative braking. MG2 output: 118.0 HP / 148.9 lb-ft of torque, 0-1,500 rpm.
- all-wheel drive
- charging time: around 2 hours at 3.3 kW (240 V)
- Curb weight: 3,726 lb (1,690 kg)