With the first iX3 now out of the gates, within weeks we should see the first customer deliveries.
Ths iX3 is produced alongside the conventional X3 and will be exported to global markets. However, at least at this point, the main focus seems to be Europe and China. Time will tell whether we will see the iX3 also in the U.S.
According to BMW, the BBA facility is distinguished by its comprehensive quality management system and "zero defect concept".
"BBA conducts rigorous testing of everything from the battery to the finished car to guarantee the vehicle safety of the BMW iX3. 128 mechanical tests and 994 software functionality tests ensure the high quality of high-voltage batteries throughout the entire lifecycle. 140 functional tests check every aspect of the vehicle during acceleration, in particular road conditions and on rocky roads. As a result, the BMW iX3 is well-suited for all types of roads and meets the high demands of different driving conditions."
The launch of iX3 is a huge milestone for the German manufacturer, as it's the first model equipped with fifth-generation high-voltage batteries (produced locally) and drive units.
Gallery: BMW iX3 production in Shenyang, China
BMW iX3 specs:
- Range (all-electric)
WLTP: 460 km (286 miles); energy consumption of 18.5-19.5 kWh/100 km
NEDC: 520 km (323 miles)
- 80 kWh battery (74 kWh net usable / 80 kWh total)
10 modules, 188 prismatic cells supplied by CATL, 400 V system
- 0-60 km/h (37 mph) in 3.7 seconds
- 0-100 km/h (62 mph) in 6.8 seconds
- 80-120 km/h (50-75 mph) in 2.5 seconds
- top speed of 180 km/h (112 mph)
- rear-wheel drive
- peak system output of 210 kW (80 kW continuous) and 400 Nm of torque
current-excited synchronous motor, without the use of magnets
- AC charging (on-board): 7.5 hours using 11 kW three-phase on-board charger
- DC fast charging: 34 minutes to 80% (using 150 kW charger)
- heat pump included as standard
- load capacity can be expanded from 510 litres to as much as 1,560 litres
- curb weight 2,185 kg (DIN) / 2,260 kg (EU)
- towing capacity up to 750 kg