Model Y offers a lot more cargo volume and better access to the trunk. No towing though.
The new Tesla offers more space as well as better access to the trunk, as it's a hatchback. Let's take a look at the numbers and compare it to the Model 3.
Model Y / Model 3:
- Overall length: 4,751 mm / compared to 4,694 mm
- Overall width (incl. mirrors): 2,129 mm / compared to 2,088 mm
- Overall height: 1,624 mm / compared to 1,443 mm
- Wheelbase: 2,890 mm / compared to 2,875 mm
- Ground clearance - coil suspension: 167 mm / compared to 140 mm
As we can see, the Y is bigger in basically every metric.
Cargo volume and weights
The bigger dimensions shown above translate to a significantly higher cargo volume of a total of 68 cu ft (1,925 liters), compared to 15 cu ft (425 liters) in the case of the Model 3.
The Model Y is a heavier car, with a curb weight of 2,003 kg (Long Range All-Wheel Drive versions), compared to 1,847-1,860 kg for corresponding Model 3 versions. That is 149-156 kg more.
Considering the difference between the curb weight and gross weight, the Model Y can take 402 kg of passengers/cargo. It was up to 418 kg in case of the corresponding LR AWD Model 3.
Tesla clearly shows that there is no towing option.
Gallery: Tesla Model Y (design studio)
See Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual here.
See Tesla Model 3 Owner's Manual here.