The payload seen on the Tesla Semi trailer was estimated at 36,000 lbs.
One of the new videos of the Tesla Semi spotted on the road provides us with an opportunity to wonder about the payload capacity of the all-electric truck. Tesla didn't yet reveal the number.
As you can see in the video, the nine lock blocks on the trailer (some 4,000 lbs each) weight 36,000 lbs (over 16,300 kg). Together with the trailer (some 15,000 lbs we guess), it's probably well over half of the gross weight of 80,000 lbs (almost 36,300 kg).
The question is how much payload can the Semi can take within gross weight? It will depend on the version (Standard - 300 miles, or Long Range - 500 miles) as the longer-range Semi needs more batteries. Assuming a 15,000-20,000 pound weight of the Semi, the payload could be 45,000-50,000 lbs.
Tesla said that acceleration of the fully loaded Semi (80,000 lbs) will be 0-60 mph in 20 seconds.
Video Description via Torque News on YouTube:
Tesla Semi Rare Testing May Reveal Towing Capacity
This rare Tesla Semi real-road testing possibly reveals the towing capacity. Look how much weight is in it and let's calculate.
It's great to see Tesla Semi in live testing. How cool it is to have a job like this and to test Tesla Semi in the company. I would like to know how much that load weights. Lock blocks are approximately 4,000 lbs each. I counted there are 9. So the load on the flat bed is about 36,000 pounds. Thus, we can conclude that the Tesla Semi can easily tow at least 36,000 pounds of weight.
Thanks for watching. Please subscribe and ring the best to stay in touch. We thank Juan Hernandez for this Youtube footage and if you have interesting footages, please send us your video tips.
Tesla Semi specs:
- Acceleration 0-60 mph with 80K lbs load – 20 sec
- Speed up a 5% Grade – 65 mph
- Range – 300 or 500 miles (483 or 804 km)
- Powertrain – 4 Independent Motors on Rear Axles
- Energy Consumption – Less than 2 kWh / mile
- Fuel Savings – $200,000+
- Expected Base Price (300 mile range) – $150,000
- Expected Base Price (500 mile range) – $180,000
- Base Reservation – $20,000
- Expected Founders Series Price – $200,000
- Founders Series Reservation – $200,000 * Prices displayed in USD. International pricing will vary.