U.S. Plug-In Electric Car Sales Sorted By Manufacturer
If you’ve ever wondered about plug-in electric car sales in US sorted by manufacturer, then we’ve got something special for you.
As it turns out, the top 2 manufacturers (GM and Nissan) delivered nearly 48% of all plug-in electric cars sold, while the top 5 delivered nearly 89%. The remaining 8 manufacturers hold over 11% of the total fleet of over 354,000.
The top 5 are still delivering nearly 4 plug-in cars per 5 sold. Tesla is selling the most in 2015, achieving over 20% market share in recent months.
- GM (Chevrolet Volt & Spark EV, Cadillac ELR) – 85,793 (24.2%)
- Nissan (LEAF) – 83,312 (23.5%)
- Tesla Motors (Model S) – 50,800 (14.3%)
- Ford (Focus Electric, Fusion Energi, C-Max Energi) – 50,306 (14.2%)
- Toyota (Prius PHV and RAV4 EV) – 44,048 (12.4%)
- others – 39,940 (11.3%)
Closest to the top 5 is now BMW at less than 13,000 (3.7%), but there is huge gap to Toyota. That should give Toyota plenty of time to introduce the new plug-in Prius before BMW reaches the top 5.
On the other hand, GM (new 2016 Volt), Nissan (2016 LEAF) and Tesla (Tesla Model X) should not only maintain 50% share, but maybe even expand it a little bit.