Toyota Mirai Gets EPA Rated At 67 MPGe, 312 Miles Of Total Range
Toyota announced that 312 miles of range makes the Mirai the longest driving range zero emission vehicle on the market.
Well, someone would need to use about 100 kWh of batteries to achieve 300 miles of range in a pure electric car (Tesla 85D has 270 miles of EPA range). Totally doable.
The second number released by Toyota is use of energy: 67 miles per gallon equivalent (mpge). That’s only half of some BEVs. Nissan LEAF is rated at 114 MPGe. Plug-in Prius is rated at 95 MPGe (50 using only gas).
In other words, on average, Mirai will struggle to beat event the Plug-In Prius, if electric mode is used often.
Toyota North America CEO Jim Lentz said:
“Toyota realized in the early 90’s that electrification was key to the future of the automobile. Just as the Prius introduced hybrid-electric vehicles to millions of customers nearly twenty years ago, the Mirai is now poised to usher in a new era of efficient, hydrogen transportation.”
Toyota intends to cover costs of hydrogen and normal factory scheduled maintenance for early adopters:
“Toyota has matched the Mirai’s impressive performance with an equally impressive ownership experience. In addition to outstanding range and fuel economy, Mirai drivers will enjoy a comprehensive, ownership experience offering a range of world-class services, including:
- Three years’ worth of complimentary fuel 
- Three years complimentary Safety Connect and Entune, including hydrogen station finder app.
- Three years of 24/7 customer call support.
- Mirai Complimentary Rental Experience for seven days per year for three years.
- ToyotaCare, our standard no cost service plan and roadside assistance, is enhanced for Mirai and offers:
- No cost scheduled maintenance for three years, or 35,000 miles, whichever comes first.
- No cost enhanced roadside assistance for three years, regardless of mileage, including expedited towing service and trip interruption reimbursement at a maximum of $500 per day for up to 5 days per incident.
- 8-year/100,000-mile warranty on key fuel cell vehicle components including the FC stack and power control unit; FC hydrogen tanks; hybrid battery pack and ECU; FC air compressor, boost converter and ECU; hybrid control module (power management control module); and hydrogen fueling ECU.
Beginning this summer, California customers can request a Mirai by visiting www.toyota.com/mirai. Customers are encouraged to visit www.toyota.com/mirai today to sign up for more information and notification of exact Mirai order request launch timing in the coming months.
 Complimentary fuel for 3 years or $15,000 maximum, whichever comes first. Fuel program starts after receipt and activation of fuel card; fuel card is nontransferable. Fueling must be done at approved SAE certified stations.
 The seven complimentary days per year will expire after each year and any unused days will not carry over.
 ToyotaCare covers normal factory scheduled maintenance for two years or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first. 24-hour roadside assistance is also included for two years, regardless of mileage. Valid only at authorized Mirai Fuel Cell dealers in the continental United States. See dealer for details and exclusions.
 Covers normal factory scheduled maintenance and is valid only at authorized Mirai Fuel Cell dealers in the continental United States. See dealer for details and exclusions.
 Does not include parts and fluids.
 Trip reimbursement covers interruptions that require the Toyota dealership to keep such vehicle overnight and such Covered Vehicle is at the time of such disablement more than fifty (50) miles from the residence of the owner of the Covered Vehicle. See an Authorized Mirai Fuel Cell dealer for details and exclusions.“