Sao Paulo Formula E Race Pushed Back To 2019

1 day ago by Motorsport.com 1

Formula E’s inaugural Sao Paulo race has been postponed to 2019, with an alternative round being planned for the 2017/18 season.

The electric single-seater series’ first race in Brazil had been scheduled for March 17 next year, the fifth round of the coming campaign.

After making an initial commitment with FE to host the race in Anhembi Park, the city of Sao Paulo entered a process of selling the area to a private buyer.

City authorities have informed FE that this has taken “longer than expected” and so Sao Paulo will not be able to host the race in 2018.

However, it has made it clear that it believes the race is still viable after that.

FE hopes to maintain the planned schedule of 14 races across 11 venues for 2017/18, and will present a replacement race for Sao Paulo to the FIA’s World Motor Sport Council soon.

In a statement supplied to Motorsport.com, a spokesperson for FE said: “The Sao Paulo city authorities have asked us to postpone the race to season five, due to an ongoing process of privatisation of the Anhembi Park venue.

“Racing in city centres always poses challenges and as this process is taking longer than expected, in agreement with the city of Sao Paulo, we’ve decided to place negotiations on stand-by until the privatisation process is complete – with the city specifying their desire to be considered on the calendar for next year.

“In the meantime, we’ve prepared an alternative solution for this season that will be formally presented to the FIA World Motor Sport Council in Paris next week.”

FE has two Brazilian drivers – inaugural title winner Nelson Piquet Jr and defending champion Lucas di Grassi.

Tags:

One response to "Sao Paulo Formula E Race Pushed Back To 2019"

  1. Ninjafez says:

    London, London, London, London!

    Or Milton Keynes lol

Leave a Reply