President Obama Issues Order: 50% Of New Federal Agency Vehicles To Be ZEVs Or PHEVs By 2025
The White House’s Office of the Press Secretary published Executive Order — Planning for Federal Sustainability in the Next Decade, which orders Federal agencies to buy more zero emission vehicles (ZEV) or low emission vehicles, like plug-in hybrids (PHEV).
By the end of 2020 ZEV/PHEV must account for 20% of all new agency passenger vehicle acquisitions, while by December 31, 2025 that figure jumps to at least 50%.
In 10 years, greenhouse gas emissions for Federal agencies should be cut by 30% compared to 2014.
Here is the most important automotive-related part of the executive order:
“(g) if the agency operates a fleet of at least 20 motor vehicles, improve agency fleet and vehicle efficiency and management by:
- (i) determining, as part of the planning requirements of section 14 of this order, the optimum fleet inventory with emphasis placed on eliminating unnecessary or non-essential vehicles from the agency’s fleet inventory;
- (ii) taking actions that reduce fleet-wide per-mile greenhouse gas emissions from agency fleet vehicles, relative to a baseline of emissions in fiscal year 2014, to achieve the following percentage reductions:
(A) not less than 4 percent by the end of fiscal year 2017;
(B) not less than 15 percent by the end of fiscal year 2021; and
(C) not less than 30 percent by the end of fiscal year 2025;
- (iii) collecting and utilizing as a fleet efficiency management tool, as soon as practicable but not later than 2 years after the date of this order, agency fleet operational data through deployment of vehicle telematics at a vehicle asset level for all new passenger and light duty vehicle acquisitions and for medium duty vehicles where appropriate;
- (iv) ensuring that agency annual asset-level fleet data is properly and accurately accounted for in a formal agency Fleet Management System and any relevant data is submitted to the Federal Automotive Statistical Tool reporting database, the Federal Motor Vehicle Registration System, and the Fleet Sustainability Dashboard (FleetDASH) system;
- (v) planning for agency fleet composition such that by December 31, 2020, zero emission vehicles or plug-in hybrid vehicles account for 20 percent of all new agency passenger vehicle acquisitions and by December 31, 2025, zero emission vehicles or plug-in hybrid vehicles account for 50 percent of all new agency passenger vehicles and including, where practicable, acquisition of such vehicles in other vehicle classes and counting double credit towards the targets in this section for such acquisitions; and
- (vi) planning for appropriate charging or refueling infrastructure or other power storage technologies for zero emission vehicles or plug-in hybrid vehicles and opportunities for ancillary services to support vehicle-to-grid technology;”