GM's First Ultium Battery Gigafactory Appears Almost Completed
It will produce 30+ GWh of EV batteries annually.
The Ultium Cells's first battery gigafactory, under construction in Lordstown, Ohio, appears to be in the final stage of construction.
In a new flyover video, recorded on November 23, and shared by Ray Noneya, we can see a basically complete building, but there are still plenty of things that have to be completed around. It's unknown how advanced the installation of manufacturing equipment inside is, ahead of production start in 2022.
This is the first battery gigafactory that the GM's and LG Energy Solution's joint venture is building in the U.S. (the second one will be built in Spring Hill, Tennessee). Two more plants are in the pipeline according to General Motors.
The plant in Lordstown, Ohio is envisioned for 30 GWh annually with an option for more. It's a crucial investment for the ramp-up of the Ultium-based electric cars.
Initially, the Ultium cells will be produced and supplied from other LG Energy Solution's plants, but once tUltium Cells starts production, it will carry the volume.
Other manufacturers, including Ford and Stellantis, are also engaged in battery gigafactory joint ventures in the U.S. Manufacturers in Europe also appear to prefer this type of business model, which gives them more control over the battery supply.
Gallery: Ultium Cells LLC Battery Plant in Lordstown, Ohio
Ultium Cells LLC - Lordstown, Ohio plant in brief:
- General Motors and LG Chem's LG Energy Solution joint venture (50/50)
- manufacturing of lithium-ion battery cells for electric vehicles
- $2.3 billion investment and more than 1,100 new jobs
- 2.8-million-square-foot plant located in Lordstown, Ohio
- target manufacturing capacity of 30 GWh annually (with an option for further expansion)
- cell type: large-format, pouch-style cells
- groundbreaking in May 2020
- production to start from 2022
- 12:35pm Tesla Introduces New Extended Service Agreements, Warranty Coverage
- 12:17pm Ford Expects Model e EV Unit To Post $3 Billion Loss This Year
- 10:24am Cheapest Tesla Model 3 May No Longer Qualify For US Tax Credit Soon
- 9:54am Watch A Mercedes-Benz EQG Prototype Break Down At The Nurburgring
- 9:51am Insider Shares More On Tesla's Project Highland AKA Model 3 Refresh
- 9:42am Tesla's New Hardware 4 May Help Make Unprotected Turns Safer
- 9:15am Citroen Working A Multitude Of Small And Affordable EVs With Radical Styling
- 9:00am 2024 GMC Hummer EV SUV First Drive Review: Good, Bad, And Everything In Between
About this article