Tesla Model 3 Handles Flooded Streets In China Like A Boss
Thankfully, Tesla tests its cars in deep waters during the quality control process at its Shanghai Gigafactory.
Most folks are probably aware you should never drive most gas cars through deep water, it could hydrolock the engine – officially known as hydrostatic lock – as water gets sucked into the intake, not to mention the potential for lots of other damage. A gas car can actually get hydrolocked even if it's not running.
With that said, many people probably aren't aware that electric cars tend to fare better in flood conditions. We've shared many videos and stories about Tesla vehicles driving through floods as if they're boats. Even CEO Elon Musk has noted that a Tesla will work like a boat, at least temporarily.
Before we continue here, it's very important to note that driving through water is dangerous, and driving through deep water is extremely risky no matter what car you're piloting. However, if you get stuck in a terrible situation, sometimes you have no choice. Please don't head out and test your Tesla's seaworthiness.
A recent video shared on Twitter by codebear shows a Tesla Model 3 driving through a flood in China. As you can see, it seems to be doing just fine despite the fact that other nearby cars appear stranded.
Sadly, we don't have details about the condition of the Model 3 after the incident, but we can tell that it was operating properly during the time it was in deep water. The car is clearly running and working to propel itself rather nicely.
See More Tesla Model 3 Sedans Versus Flood Waters:
As pointed out by our friends at Teslarati, Tesla tests its cars in deep water as part of its quality control process. Check out the video below, which highlights Tesla's Model Y quality control in China. If you haven't yet seen it, the whole video is worth watching. It's less the two minutes long. However, for the deepwater wading test, scroll to 1:09.
- 5:30pm Tesla Cybertruck Battery Size, Heat Pump And Colored Charging Indicator Revealed In EPA Docs
- 4:42pm Tesla Cybertruck’s Race Against A Porsche 911 Was Apparently An 1/8-Mile Run
- 4:39pm Almost 73,000 Second-Gen Chevrolet Volt PHEVs Probed For Power Loss
- 3:36pm 2024 Jaguar I-Pace Review: How Does This Electric O.G. Hold Up Today?
- 3:09pm Ford U.S. EV Sales Hit New Record In November 2023
- 2:06pm Volkswagen Halts ID.3, Cupra Born Production In Germany Over Demand Concerns: Report
- 12:15pm Tesla China-Made EV Wholesale Sales Fell 18% In November 2023
- 11:35am Toyota Urban SUV Previews Cheap, Small EV Coming To Europe In 2024