In May, sales of this tiny EV amounted tot 29,706 according to the China Passenger Car Association (CPCA), via Moneyball.
* CPCA reports wholesale shipments, not registrations/deliveries.
The second best was Tesla Model Y with 12,728 units, followed by 9,208 Tesla Model 3.
Wuling Hong Guang MINI EV sales in China - May 2021
After almost 12-months of sales since June 2020, the SAIC-GM-Wuling joint venture has sold a total of over 260,000 units or so. That's a huge number. The daily average is above 700!
This year the result is up to around 128,796-140,000 depending on the data source (CPCA/manufacturer). Model 3 is at 68,330, while Model Y at 34,557 YTD.
At that point, it's clear that Wuling Hong Guang MINI EV will be the top-selling EV in China this year, possibly above 400,000 cumulatively.
As we can see in the table, more and more normal-size electric cars are now selling also at 5,000 a month and the top 15 plug-ins are above 3,000.
Next year we will probably see a convertible version of the vehicle - the Hong Guang MINI EV Cabrio.
Wuling - Hong Guang MINI EV specs:
- Two battery/range options
120 km (75 miles) of range using 9.3 kWh battery
170 km (106 miles) of range using 13.9 kWh battery
- top speed of 100 km/h (62 mph)
- electric motor: 20 kW peak and 85 Nm
- 4 seats
- 741 liters of space with the rear seats folded down
- 2,917 millimeters long, 1,493 millimeters wide and 1,621 millimeters high, with a 1,940-millimeter wheelbase