As of June, the main building appears to be almost completed (a big change compared to early March), although there is still a lot to do in the surroundings (see the full view at the very end - 5:29). The drone video on the Ray Noneya channel focuses mostly on the back side and some details.
The production of Ultium batteries should start in 2022 with a goal of 30 GWh annually (with an option for further expansion).
General Motors and LG Chem's LG Energy Solution recently announced that the Ultium Cells joint venture will build also a second battery plant - in Spring Hill, Tennessee.
Judging from the same investment amount of $2.3 billion, we guess that the manufacturing output also will be at 30 GWh or more annually. This plant will come online in late 2023.
One thing is sure - GM is preparing for mass electrification of its lineup using the new Ultium batteries and LG Energy Solution is its strategic partner.
Ultium Cells LLC in brief:
- General Motors and LG Chem's LG Energy Solution joint venture (50/50)
- manufacturing of lithium-ion battery cells for electric vehicles
- $2.3 billion investment and more than 1,100 new jobs
- 2.8-million-square-foot plant located in Lordstown, Ohio
- target manufacturing capacity of 30 GWh annually (with an option for further expansion)
- groundbreaking in May 2020
- production to start from 2022