It happened during performance-oriented testing, ahead of Goodwood SpeedWeek.
The driver Dieter Depping completed a lap of the 4.2-kilometer circuit in 1:24.206 minutes. Volkswagen Motorsport shared on-board video (see below) so we can see how insanely fast it is.
"Join Dieter Depping on his record-breaking lap with the Volkswagen ID.R at Bilster Berg. Just over a year after the record drive on Tianmen Mountain in China, Volkswagen Motorsport and the fully-electric race car returned to action with an impressive track record."
Here's the updated list of the Volkswagen ID. R's record:
- Bilster Berg absolute record (September 24, 2020): 1:24.206 minutes
- Tianmen Shan Big Gate Road absolute record (September 2, 2019): 7:38.585 minutes (see video here)
- Nürburgring Nordschleife EV record (June 3, 2019): 6:05.336 minutes at an average speed of 206.96 km/h (128.62 mph) over 20.8 km (12.9 miles)
- Goodwood Festival of Speed absolute track record (July 6, 2019): 39.9 seconds (improved previous personal EV record of 43.86 seconds from July, 2018 and 41.18 seconds absolute track record from July 5, 2019)
- Pikes Peak International Hill Climb absolute track record (June 24, 2018): 7:57.148 minutes
Drivers: Romain Dumas (all 2018-2019), Dieter Depping (Bilster Berg in 2020).