See the beginning of steel construction at Ultium Cells.
The company said that the joint venture project with LG Chem is progressing on schedule.
"Since May 2020, ground has been broken and concrete footings have been poured at the facility. Steel construction at Ultium Cells LLC will continue into fall 2020."
Ken Morris, vice president of Autonomous and Electric Vehicle Programs said:
“We are excited about the progress that our team has made, and we look forward to the finished product – a nearly 3 million-square-foot plant. Our joint venture with LG Chem will allow us to produce advanced battery cells in Lordstown, with the goal of reducing battery costs to accelerate EV adoption and ultimately benefit customers.”
"Despite the pandemic, product development work on GM’s future EV and AV portfolios continues to progress at a rapid pace. Next Thursday, Aug. 6, the Cadillac LYRIQ show car will debut virtually, introducing the next chapter of the brand. Production timing remains on track for the LYRIQ and GMC HUMMER EV, both of which will be powered by the Ultium battery system."
The new factory will start production from 2022:
Gallery: Ultium Cells LLC Battery Plant in Lordstown, Ohio
Ultium Cells LLC in brief:
- General Motors and LG Chem joint venture (50/50)
- manufacturing of lithium-ion cell for electric vehicles
- $2.3 billion investment and more than 1,100 new jobs
- plant located in Lordstown, Ohio
- target manufacturing capacity of 30 GWh annually (with an option for further expansion)
- groundbreaking is expected to take place in mid-2020
- production might start from 2022