We are starting another week with a quick look at the Tesla Gigafactory 3 in Shanghai.
The latest Tesla Gigafactory 3 video by Jason Yang reveals the stage of progress as of May 26, 2019, when the main manufacturing building is almost completed.
The large construction machines are leaving the area as the work now moves to finish the building, surrounding area and inside before installation of production lines begins.
Tesla intends to produce in Shanghai the base version of the Tesla Model 3 for China and other Asian markets (the top versions still will be imported from the U.S.).
Video Description via Jason Yang on YouTube:
Tesla Gigafactory 3 in Shanghai China (May 26 2019)
Large equipments are leaving, indicating that the construction of the plant is coming to an end,After a quarter, Tesla Model 3 comes down from the production line, which will likely be achieved.
Tesla Gigafactory 3 facts:
- location: Shanghai, China
- wholly-owned subsidiary (not joint venture)
- construction was started in January 2019
- initial construction should be completed by the end of summer
- production of cars should start in second-half of 2019 (volume production from 2020)
- initial target of 3,000 cars per week (between 1,000 to 2,000 per week by the end of 2019)
- expected total investment: about $2 billion
- purpose: production of affordable versions of Model 3/Model Y for greater China region (higher cost versions of 3/Y and all S/X to be produced in the U.S.)
- battery packs will be assembled using lithium-ion cells from various suppliers, including Panasonic
- expected volume: 500,000 per year