Construction continues at a rapid rate.
The building is expected to be ready within 11 days - at the end of May and over the next 3-4 months, Tesla will be installing production equipment.
If the fast pace continues, the first Tesla Model 3 should be produced in September or so with volume production (between 1,000 to 2,000 per week) at the end of 2019. Because there could be some obstacles along the way, we are cautiously optimistic that the production will start this year.
Tesla Gigafactory 3 facts:
- location: Shanghai, China
- wholly-owned subsidiary (not joint venture)
- construction was started in January 2019
- initial construction should be completed by the end of summer
- production of cars should start in second-half of 2019 (volume production from 2020)
- initial target of 3,000 cars per week (between 1,000 to 2,000 per week by the end of 2019)
- expected total investment: about $2 billion
- purpose: production of affordable versions of Model 3/Model Y for greater China region (higher cost versions of 3/Y and all S/X to be produced in the U.S.)
- battery packs will be assembled using lithium-ion cells from various suppliers, including Panasonic
- expected volume: 500,000 per year