The building should be completed within a few weeks.
The new video from May 13, provided by Jason Yang, shows that the construction work is moving towards the end and we can already clearly recognize the shape of the white building with a black quarterdeck, initially shown in the teaser photo (see below) several months ago.
In favorable circumstances, Tesla could start pilot production in September and reach a four-digit output of Tesla Model 3 by the end of this year.
Tesla Gigafactory 3 facts:
- location: Shanghai, China
- wholly-owned subsidiary (not joint venture)
- construction was started in January 2019
- initial construction should be completed by the end of summer
- production of cars should start in second-half of 2019 (volume production from 2020)
- initial target of 3,000 cars per week (between 1,000 to 2,000 per week by the end of 2019)
- expected total investment: about $2 billion
- purpose: production of affordable versions of Model 3/Model Y for greater China region (higher cost versions of 3/Y and all S/X to be produced in the U.S.)
- battery packs will be assembled using lithium-ion cells from various suppliers, including Panasonic
- expected volume: 500,000 per year