Sales of plug-in electric cars in the world's biggest market - China - amounted to over 118,000 this past month, which is a strong 86% more than a year ago. Moreover, plug-ins are surging, despite the fact that the overall car market shrunk by 7%.
Market share currently stands at 5.8% (5.1% YTD).
With more than 271,000 sales in the first quarter, China is on track for 2 million sales in 2019.
Plug-in electric car sales in China – March 2019
- BAIC EU-Series - 12,983 (19,343 YTD)
- BYD Yuan BEV – 10,021 (24,446 YTD)
- BYD e5 - 8,083 (14,527 YTD)
- Tesla Model 3 - ≈5,000 (≈5,300 YTD)
- BYD Tang PHEV – 4,763 (14,887 YTD)
Tesla Model 3 is now the #16 best selling model YTD in China, followed by Volkswagen Passat GTE on #17 (2,731 in March and 5,079 YTD).
Source: EV Sales Blog