The Aston Martin Rapide that happens to be electric
However, as in the case of other factory conversions of internal combustion engine models, the electrification seems to be compromised. The specification with 65 kWh battery and 200 miles (320) WLTP range was rather disappointing. The positive is the use of an 800 V battery system and weight increase by just 100 kg (over ICE).
Aston Martin will clearly not compete with Teslas, or other models for tech-savvy customers, but rather will focus on its own playground of luxury sports cars and a specific style. The limited run of just 155 Rapide E could take the role of a test bed for further electric cars and, by the way ,lower the average emissions to meet requirements for the brand.
An interesting overview of the Rapide E was released by the Carfection, who focused on several elements that distinguish the Rapide E from the Rapide V12, like aerodynamic and lightweight wheels (8% improvement on efficiency), new grill with perforation and interior displays.
Aston Martin Rapide E specs:
- range of more than 200 miles (320 km) under WLTP cycle
- 65 kWh battery (5,600 lithium-ion cells – 18650 type)
- rear-wheel drive with two motors
- total system output of 610 PS and 950 Nm
- 0-60 mph (nearly 100 km/h) in less than 4 seconds
- 50-70 mph in 1.5 seconds
- top speed of 155 mph (250 km/h)
- 800 V system voltage with capability to charge at 100 kW or more
- 3 h recharge using on-board charger