Tesla is finally beginning to ramp up Model 3 presence in company showrooms.
Aside from seeing the car on the internet, a majority of the half-million Tesla Model 3 reservation holders put their $1,000 deposit down sight unseen. This was a complaint from many, but obviously didn't hinder people from getting their name on the list. It's not unlike many other product debuts in the tech world, but somewhat uncommon for cars, though it's becoming more common now as some startups are beginning to follow suit.
We'll really never know if more people would have put money down if they had a chance to see and test drive the car or if it would have caused pre-orders to be a much smaller number. Tesla waited until long after all the orders were in, and few people had taken delivery, to finally begin putting the car in select Tesla stores. Even at that point, the car was only available for brief, timed viewings. Test drives were never an option.
Perhaps Tesla didn't want people to have a chance to see the early models, as the automaker was still working the bugs out and updates had not yet been performed. Now that many of the bugs have been worked out and Tesla is manufacturing the Model 3 in large numbers, the automaker is expanding its fleet of showroom cars.
According to Electrek, Tesla has been adding the Model 3 to a handful of stores every few weeks, but this past week the car found its way into about 35 new stores. Following this, the automaker announced that it added 17 more stores to close out the week, with another six stores coming soon. The list is as follows:
- Burlingame, California
- Dublin-Amador Plaza, California
- Glendale – Americana at Brand, California
- Mission Viejo-Shops at Mission Viejo, California
- Santa Barbara-Hitchcock Way, California
- San Diego – Fashion Valley, California
- Sunnyvale, California
- Lone Tree-Park Meadows, Colorado
- Boca Raton-Town Center at Boca Raton, Florida
- Honolulu-Ala Moana Center, Hawaii
- Chicago-Westmont, Illinois
- Baltimore-Owings Mills, Maryland
- Cleveland-Lyndhurst, Ohio
- Manhasset-Americana Manhasset, New York
- Brooklyn-Van Brunt Street, New York
- Dallas-Northpark Center, Texas
- McLean-Tysons Corner, Virginia
TESLA MODEL 3
Gallery: Tesla Adds 17 Stores To Model 3 Display List