EVgo, which is the largest commercial fast-charging network in the U.S. with over 1,000 chargers, is upgrading its stations to make them compatible with all models of electric cars.
In the most recent project, at 21 popular fast-charging stations in key California markets, the single-plug standard chargers (CHAdeMO) were replaced with dual-standard chargers that include both CHAdeMO and CCS Combo connectors.
Several years ago, when the CCS Combo (J1772 Combo) standard was in its infancy, EVgo installed CHAdeMO-only chargers and now the infrastructure needs to be adjusted to the market, especially to that in U.S. with sales of CHAdeMO-native models now lower than CCS Combo-native models (excluding Tesla, which can use CHAdeMO with a special adapter).
Cathy Zoi, CEO of EVgo said:
“EVgo is making the electric vehicle charging experience as easy as possible for all drivers, and today’s news that we have added additional capacity at 21 California stations means that EVgo’s network can power even more EVs. The old world is changing, and EVgo is rapidly expanding our network of over 1000 public fast chargers across the US so that more Americans can choose a better way to drive.”
Here is the list of stations that are now equipped with two dual-standard chargers (CHAdeMO and CCS Combo) at each:
EVgo fast charging station
- Lucky Daly City / 6843 Mission St., Daly City, CA
- Island Pacific Market / 19691 Hesperian Blvd., Hayward, CA
- Whole Foods San Francisco (Potrero Hill) / 450 Rhode Island St., San Francisco, CA
- The Crossroads at Pleasant Hill / 2316 Monument Blvd., Pleasant Hill, CA
- Whole Foods San Francisco (Market St) / 2001 Market St., San Francisco, CA
- Whole Foods Redwood City / 1250 Jefferson Ave., Redwood City, CA
- Public Market / 5959 Shellmound St., Emeryville, CA
- Westlake Shopping Center / 75 Southgate, Daly City, CA
- Whole Foods Los Altos / 4800 El Camino Real, Los Altos, CA
- Linda Mar / 1227 Linda Mar Shopping Center, Pacifica, CA
- Mira Mesa / 8110 Mira Mesa Blvd, San Diego, CA
- SDG&E Innovation Center / 4760 Clairemont Mesa Blvd, San Diego, CA
- Fenton Marketplace / 2149 Fenton Pkwy, San Diego, CA
- Fashion Valley / 7007 Friars Rd, San Diego, CA
- Broadway Plaza / 1142 Broadway, Chula Vista, CA
- Island Pacific Market / 3300 Atlantic Ave, Long Beach CA 90807
- Tarragona Plaza / 1000 N Western Ave, San Pedro CA 90732
- Walgreens Tarzana / 18568 Ventura Blvd, Tarzana CA 91356
- Grocery Outlet / 9026 Valley Blvd, Rosemead CA 91770
- BevMo! / 1700C Rosecrans Ave, Manhattan Beach CA 90266
- 8000 Sunset / 8000 W Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles CA 90046
There are two main non-proprietary standards for fast charging EVs: CHAdeMO and CCS Combo. CCS Combo connectors are used by the Chevrolet Bolt, BMW i3, and numerous other existing and forthcoming EV models from North American, European, and Asian auto manufacturers. CHAdeMO connectors are commonly used by the Nissan LEAF, Kia Soul EV, and (with an adaptor) Tesla vehicles. The 21 station upgrades from EVgo throughout California now have the capabilities to charge EVs using either CHAdeMO or CCS Combo connectors at both chargers.