There's been a lot of chatter on exec departures from Tesla, so here we have more positive news on new talents that have recently joined the company.
Tesla announced nearly 10 key positions and even more positive is that additional hires are to be announced in the coming days.
One of the key new positions is the new CFO in China - James Zhou (James previously served as CFO for Asia Pacific and India for Ingersoll Rand, and prior to that held a number of financial leadership positions at General Electric and General Motors). The Chinese market had 17% share in Tesla revenues in 2017, but because of the upcoming investment into the new Gigafactory for cars and batteries, as well as lower import taxes, China could become a major market for Tesla. The team will have their hands full of work.
On the more technical side, Stuart Bowers became VP of Engineering, responsible for a broad range of Tesla’s software and hardware engineering. Neeraj Manrao has joined Tesla (from Apple) as Director of Energy Manufacturing and Kevin Mukai has started as Director of Production Engineering at Gigafactory.
It seems that Elon Musk is trying to find the right people to lead engineering/manufacturing to avoid the production hell and to retire his sleeping bag in the future.
As we continue our thorough reorganization to ensure Tesla is well prepared for the future, today we’re pleased to announce a number of key hires that we’ve made over the past several weeks.
- Stuart Bowers is joining as VP of Engineering, responsible for a broad range of Tesla’s software and hardware engineering. Stuart has 12 years of software experience and a background in applied mathematics, and is joining Tesla from Snap. There, he was most recently VP of Monetization Engineering, leading the team with a focus on machine learning and ad infrastructure. Prior to Snap, Stuart was the eighth engineer hired at Facebook’s Seattle office where he worked on data infrastructure and machine learning for search.
- Neeraj Manrao has joined Tesla as Director of Energy Manufacturing. Neeraj comes from Apple, where he led the technical operations team.
- Kevin Mukai has started as Director of Production Engineering at Gigafactory. Kevin was most recently at ThinFilm Electronics, where he served as Senior Director of Process Engineering, and before that at SunPower as Director of Process & Equipment Engineering. Kevin has extensive experience in advanced factory design and development.
- James Zhou started last month as CFO, China. James previously served as CFO for Asia Pacific and India for Ingersoll Rand, and prior to that held a number of financial leadership positions at General Electric and General Motors.
- Alexandra Veitch joined last month as Senior Director for North American Government Relations and Policy. Alexandra comes to Tesla from CSRA. Before that, she served as Special Assistant to the President and Legislative Affairs Liaison in the White House under the Obama Administration. Her government service also includes time at the Department of Homeland Security and as a staff member in both the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives.
- Kate Pearson is our new Director of Field Delivery Operations. She previously worked as VP of Digital Acceleration at Walmart eCommerce, where she led online grocery and last-mile delivery.
- Mark Mastandrea started earlier this month as Director, Vehicle Delivery Operations. He comes from Amazon, where he was their Director of Logistics Operations, leading last-mile delivery in North America and working on the design and development of AmazonFresh pickup.
- Myriam Attou recently started as Regional Sales Director in EMEA. Coming from La Perla, and before that Burberry, she has a long track record of delivering strong results in sales, customer experience and service excellence.
We’re excited to welcome a group of such talented people as we continue to ramp Model 3 and accelerate towards a more sustainable future. We’ll be announcing more hires in the coming days, so stay tuned.