Three electric cars - the new Nissan LEAF, Renault ZOE Z.E. 40 and the Volkswagen e-Golf with its now-bigger battery pack - were compared by What Car?
2017 Volkswagen e-Golf
Cutting to the chase, the new 2018 LEAF won, but each of thess cars have strong and weak points that requires one to decide what features you prefers.
What Car? awarded the new LEAF with 5 stars overall, while the e-Golf got 4 and the ZOE only 3.
What Car? concludes that the e-Golf is the most well-rounded car of the group. However, its range is a real letdown. The ZOE, the clear range leader and price champ in this test, gets knocked for its poor seating position, lack of safety features and cramped interior. That means that the LEAF, neither the longest range car, nor the most well-rounded, wins by virtue of delivering on most of the fronts electric car buyers are interested in, such as performance, capacity, safety and overall experience.
Here are the main results from the review:
- Pros: performances, driving experience, trunk capacity, features, safety features, actually makes the most sense to the most electric car buyers
- Cons: inflexible driving position, interior could be better, tight rear head room
- Spec: 40 kWh battery, 110 kW electric motor, 0-60 mph in 8.2 seconds, 235 miles range (What Car? test real-world range 108 miles)
- Price: £30,490 (£25,990 after grant)
- Pros: best all-rounder, smoothest and quietest drive, classiest interior, a lot room in the rear, most user-friendly infotainment, most practical
- Cons: limited range, higher price and PCP costs
- Spec: 35.8 kWh battery, 100 kW electric motor, 0-60 mph 9.0 seconds, 186 miles of range (What Car? test real-world range 93 miles)
- Price: £32,190 (£27,690 after grant)
- Pros: longest range, lowest price, small for city driving
- Cons: ride, cheap-feeling interior, least safety kit and makes more financial sense if you lease the battery separately
- Spec: 41 kWh battery, 65 kW electric motor, 0-60 mph 13.0 seconds, 230 miles (What Car? test real-world range 131 miles)
- Price: £29,020 (£18,719 after grant)