A video test of the latest Tesla Autopilot 2 system in action (v8.1 17.22.46) by James Hansbert, which made Elon Musk excited because of the smooth as silk feeling of the control algorithm, has hit the airwaves.
Now, whether or not it is smooth enough to also excite others is an open question.
Overall James sees the new software as big improvement to the previous version in keeping car on line, but some of the problems remains, which was disappointing.
From the comments on the video we noted:
- once Autopilot slowed down for an unknown known reason and then went back to speed
- car slows down smoothly on the highway, detecting standing traffic
- parallel parking didn't detect the spot few times, and when it did, the result wasn't perfect (too much space in the back and none in front, which required manual completion)
- new perpendicular parking succeeded on its second try (with automatic correction) nearly perfectly, but also needed manual completion to fit the space
- tricky situations, that were overwhelming the previous Autopilot version, also made the computer frustrated