BMW has begun to promote its 225xe iPerformance Active Tourer plug-in hybrid with a new advertisement spot/video "What you need to know".
The reason for the stronger attention of late on the plug-in 2 Series? Perhaps because 1/2 of the iPerformance PHEV lineup (BMW 330e and 740e) is effectively "sold out" for the rest of 2016...in other words, sell what ya got!
Most of the description focuses on the AWD powertrain, which consist of separate driving for the front axle (engine) and rear axle (electric motor).
Depending on the road situation, speed and power demand, the 225xe is powered solely by electric motor, the engine alone, or both at once.
"The BMW 225xe iPerformance Active Tourer, in short BMW 225xe gives you an intelligent combination of dynamic driving and 4-wheel drive safety. How? We will explain in this clip. If you´re interested in a 2 Series vehicle, be sure to see this clip."
- 100 kW/136 hp, 220 Nm 1.5-litre three-cylinder petrol engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology and six-speed Steptronic transmission plus high-voltage starter-generator in the front (power boost when accelerating from a standstill)
- 65 kW electric motor for the rear wheels
- AWD (front wheels – engine, rear wheels – electric motor)
- overall system output of 165 kW/224 hp and 385 Nm
- all-electric range of up to 41 km (25 miles) - NEDC, up to 78 mph (125 km)
- 7.6 kWh lithium-ion (usable 5.8 kWh)
- Average fuel consumption (combined) at 2.1–2.0 litres/100 km (134.5–141.2 mpg imp)
- 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 6.7 s