Honda has begun deliveries of its Clarity Fuel Cell Sedan in California, where 12 dealers have signed on for the job.
Interestingly, the first six cars were delivered to former Clarity FCX users from Southern California, so there will be no surprises as to what the fuel cell can (or can't do).
Honda delivered its first six 2017 Clarity Fuel Cells to Jon Spallino, Terry Tamminen, Karen Thorp, Jackie Keller, Jack Cusick and Jim Salomon (left to right) on December 19, 2016 on the Torrance, Calif., campus of American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Hopefully soon we will get the first reviews and insight of how the latest Japanese hydrogen fuel cells copes with California's fuel cell infrastructure, as well as its on-road performance.
With 366 miles of EPA range and seating for five, it's certainly a major competitor to the Toyota Mirai; especially considering the very attractive $369/month lease deal on the car.
Honda has also noted that an all-electric offering of the Clarity platform (undisclosed range) will be offered for the US in 2017.
That BEV will be followed by a 40+ mile plug-in hybrid Clarity by year's end. Better still, the Clarity PHEV will be offered in all 50 states.
Honda Clarity Fuel Cell offer (more)
- $369 a month lease price, with $2,499 down at lease signing. Over 36 months (and 20,000 annual mileage) the cost will be $15,783 (average of $438) not including tax, registration or official fees.
- up to $15,000 of free hydrogen at participating hydrogen stations during first three years, and 24/7 roadside assistance as well as up to 21 days of an Avis Luxury Rental in California. Eligibility for California "White Sticker" single occupant HOV access
- 366 miles of EPA range
Honda Clarity Fuel Cell Boasts EPA 366-Mile Range Rating, Best of Any Zero-Emission Vehicle
"Retail leasing of the Clarity Fuel Cell is now available through Honda's expanded network of 12 approved dealerships located in select California markets, including six dealerships in Southern California, five in the Bay Area, and one in Sacramento. Honda will further develop its fuel cell vehicle dealer network as the network of public hydrogen fueling stations expands across the state.
The Clarity Fuel Cell is available for the competitive introductory lease price of $369 a month for 36 months with $2,868 due at signing2. The lease terms include an attractive mileage allowance of 20,000 miles per year, up to $15,000 of hydrogen fuel, up to 21 days of an Avis Luxury Rental in California, 24/7 roadside assistance, and eligibility for California "White Sticker" single occupant HOV access.
The first deliveries of the Clarity Fuel Cell were celebrated on the Torrance, Calif., campus of American Honda Motor Co, Inc., where six Clarity Fuel Cell customers participated in a ceremonial delivery event after leasing their car from one of Honda's six fuel cell vehicle dealerships in Southern California. The participating dealerships are Scott Robinson Honda in Torrance, Culver City Honda, Keyes Woodland Hills Honda, Honda of Pasadena, Norm Reeves Honda in Cerritos, and Norm Reeves Honda in Irvine.
Honda Clarity Fuel Cell
The first six customers of the 2017 Clarity Fuel Cell are previous owners of Honda's second-generation fuel cell vehicle, the Clarity FCX. These customers have grown with the development and deployment of Honda's fuel cell vehicles, and have provided feedback of their real-world use of the FCX to influence today's customer experience of the Clarity Fuel Cell. The customers are:
- Jon Spallino, private securities investor and world's first fuel cell vehicle individual customer with the 2005 FCX, whose new Clarity Fuel Cell becomes his third Honda fuel cell vehicle
- Jack Cusick, assistant principal of Newport Harbor High School
- Jackie Keller, founder of NutriFit, LLC™ healthy meal services
- Jim Salomon, president at Questar Construction
- Karen Thorp, deputy district attorney for the County of Los Angeles
- Terry Tamminen, CEO of the Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation"
First Honda Clarity Fuel Cell Vehicle Have Also Arrived in Europe
Steve Center, vice president of the Environmental Business Development Office at American Honda Motor Co., Inc. said:
"The Honda Clarity Fuel Cell has arrived as the next big leap forward in electric drive mobility, with next-generation style, fun-to-drive performance and customer comfort. In the year ahead, we will continue the rollout of the new Clarity series of electrified vehicles, to include battery-electric and plug-in hybrid models."