Tesla Motors's CTO J.B. Straubel was present at the 2016 International Transport Forum in Leipzig, Germany.
During the event, J.B. shared his thoughts in an interview about quite a few topics; including hydrogen fuel cell vehicles and electric trucks.
Because the interview is quite lengthy, here is some time-stamp bullet points to either jump to in the video, or to peruse our synopsis:
- 11:30 - autonomous driving and electric cars (fundamental need to reduce the costs), a surprisingly high number of reservations of Tesla Model 3, German EV market is challenging, forecasts that all-electric cars are ultimate solution for mass market
- 43:00 - innovations, Supercharging network, incentives, environment impact,
- 1:00:10 -hydrogen fuel cell vehicles - J.B. Straubel doesn't see future for hydrogen due to poor efficiency (three times lower than all-electric cars)
- 1:04:00 - electric trucks - the interest is related to fuel prices, but at some point in the future electric trucks should appear on the market as well (technology is similar, but fleets are more conservative customers)
- 1:11:00 -battery technology implementation into two wheelers, energy storage systems, Powerwall, autonomous driving systems could benefit in decreasing number of accidents
- 1:21:50 - Energy storage systems and Tesla cars potential in the Middle East - there is potential for renewable energy, however demand must be enough to justify the entry into the market