Truly, the BMW 225xe iPerformance Active Tourer has one of the longest name in the industry...although not the most annoying, that is reserved for its sister-car, the BMW X5 xDrive40e.
Name withstanding, it's for sure one of the best looking plug-in hybrid models around, and its a plug-in which can handle both refined city driving, as well as the more rugged weekend trips on more unfriendly terrain (using AWD).
The review finds the interior to be a premium setup, and goes along nicely with the quiet, relaxing driving experience that one expects in a modern electrified car; and of course the BMW has the improved fuel economy one also anticipates from a plug-in hybrid...a package that attracts many BMW 225 Active Tourer consumers to the plug.
- 100 kW/136 hp, 220 Nm 1.5-litre three-cylinder petrol engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology and six-speed Steptronic transmission plus high-voltage starter-generator in the front (power boost when accelerating from a standstill)
- 65 kW electric motor for the rear wheels
- AWD (front wheels – engine, rear wheels – electric motor)
- overall system output of 165 kW/224 hp and 385 Nm
- all-electric range of up to 41 km (25 miles), probably NEDC up to 80 km/h (50 mph)
- 7.6 kWh lithium-ion (usable 5.8 kWh)
- Average fuel consumption (combined) at 2.1–2.0 litres/100 km (134.5–141.2 mpg imp)
- 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 6.7 s