On June 18 in Japan Mitsubishi began sales of the new facelifted Outlander, unveiled back at the New York Auto Show.
At the same time, plug-in hybrid version was unveiled in Tokyo. In Japan, sales of the new Outlander PHEV will begin on July 9.
Design is similar to the conventional Outlander, adapting style from earlier concepts.
This is not the new generation, but rather a fresh-looking, improved version of the current Outlander PHEV.
"Mitsubishi Motors Corporation (MMC) has given the front and rear designs of the Outlander PHEV and Outlander a facelift and in addition has made major improvements to the powertrain, body and chassis to deliver better quietness, acceleration, handling and stability, ride, and fuel economy."
new Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
new Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
Mitsubishi Plug-In Car Sales in Japan – March 2015
Price of this 5-seat SUV is in plug-in hybrid version is around 43% higher than ICE (compared on a trim-to-trim basis).
In Japan, Outlander PHEV starts at $29,300 (with tax, without incentive of over $2,300 ), while top trim costs $37,400.
"The manufacturer's suggested sales price (including consumption tax) for the new Outlander PHEV and Outlander models will be from ¥3,596,400 to ¥4,590,000 and from ¥2,519,640 to ¥3,211,920 respectively."
Very informative is the sales target of 1,000 Outlander PHEV a month in Japan.That's 5 times more than 200 units for standard Outlander.
In other words, Mitsubishi expects over 83% sales for the PHEV version and less than 17% for ICE!
1,000 a month is also more than the average for the previous Outlander PHEV.
new Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
The new Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV is equipped with both AC and DC (CHadeMO) charging inlets, and 1500 W AC outlet. If the AC outlet is not powerful enough, in Japan you can always try to buy the CHAdeMO-V2H system to get a few kW.
We didn't spot any major differences in the powertrain nor battery listed, although range went up so now you can go in all-electric mode one more block (0.6 km more to 60.8 km in JC08 test cycle).
new Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
"I Major Changes to Outlander and Outlander PHEV1. Exterior design
- Both models feature Mitsubishi Motors' new "Dynamic Shield" front design concept. The black central section of the fascia, suggesting power and performance, is embraced by wrap-round bumper end styling to create a shape which gives expression in a dynamic and powerful way to the front end's function of providing protection for both occupants and car.
- The use of LED headlights, which also house LED front position lamps, and LED taillights generate a modern and advanced appearance.
- The underside of the bumper is given skid plate styling, giving expression to the dynamism and stability associated with the SUV genre.
- Specifically-designed bumper extensions, side garnish and other decorative parts are keyed to the body color to create a high-quality, sporty and harmonious exterior design.
- The Outlander PHEV also specifically-designed 18-inch alloy wheels with a two-tone machined and lustrous surface finish that add to the elegant yet sporty exterior (Factory option on the M trim level).
- The Outlander PHEV is available in a range of seven body colors, including Ruby Black Pearl*1, which features ruby red specks that contrast a cool and subdued black to project a sense of dynamism, and the refined and composed Quartz Brown Metallic. These new colors join Black Mica, Titanium Red Metallic, Technical Silver Metallic, White Pearl*1 and Red Metallic.
- A black finish to the underside of the bumpers, wheel arches and side garnish creates a two-tone effect which gives expression to the powerful exterior design associated with the SUV genre.
- Outlander uses specifically-designed 18-inch alloy wheels that reflect power and sportiness with a two-tone machined and lustrous surface finish.
- The Outlander is available in a range of seven body colors, including the new Quartz Brown Metallic. This joins White Pearl*1, Black Mica, Titanium Red Metallic, Cosmic Blue Mica, Red Metallic and Cool Silver Metallic.*1: At an additional cost of ¥32,400 (consumption tax included)2. Interior designThe new-look Outlander PHEV features a premium interior design creating a high-quality and luxurious space.
- As well as a new design and material for the seat upholstery, and in addition to the existing sporty black leather trim, Outlander PHEV is now available with new luxurious brown leather trim as standard on the G Premium Package (Factory option on G Navi Package and G Safety Package). The seats themselves use styled padding and trim lines which follow the shape of the occupant's body to provide an outstanding fit. In addition, accent stitching is used both in the seats and door trim; the door trim inserts are now padded.
- The Outlander PHEV uses a new four-spoke design steering wheel. The seamless fine quality leather cover gives a comfortable grip, while the silver steering wheel-mounted controls have a chrome finish.
- The instrument cluster hood gets accent stitching, the newly-designed large center console uses a finish mirroring the elegance of Japanese black lacquer used in traditional Japanese craftwork, and black stream patterns as well as lustrous accents are used in the dashboard and door trim ornament panels.The new-look Outlander features a high-quality and sporty interior design creating an elegant and composed interior space.
- Fabric seats use a new cloth design and in addition the driver and passenger seat sides now use accent stitching and the firmness of the seat cushioning has been optimized.
- The steering wheel uses a quality leather cover and the grip has been redesigned. The wheel boss features a chrome Mitsubishi Three Diamond logo in the center with piano black and chrome ornamentation below it.
- The instrument cluster hood now features black accent stitching and on leather trim models the dashboard and door trim use an ebony wood grain-like effect ornamentation panels.3. Improvements in handling, stability and ride
- Body stiffness has been increased by reinforcing areas subject to inputs from the suspension.
- Steering feel, response to and accuracy of steering inputs have been improved by increasing the stiffness of the suspension mounts and ensuring that suspension inputs are transmitted accurately to the body.
- Driving feel quality, including the balance between road stability and ride, has been improved by using larger diameter shock absorbers at the rear.4. Even quieter
- Engine, tire and wind noise have been substantially reduced by making over 30 improvements, including the addition of extra sound absorbing and insulation material, anti-vibration material and dynamic dampers. Improving the noise insulation performance when moving or stationary has achieved a more comfortable cabin experience.
- The door close sound has been improved by modifying the door sill structure. This improves the quality feel about the vehicle as well as a reassuring sense of toughness.5. Better environmental performance
- Optimization of the plug-in hybrid EV system control and reduction in engine friction have improved fuel economy by 1.6 km/L to 20.2 km/L measured in the Japanese JC08 drive mode. In addition, improvements to electric motor efficiency have increased all-electric range by 0.6 km to 60.8 km, also based on JC08 mode.(Hybrid fuel economy and all-electric range for the G Premium Package are 20.2 km/L and 60.2 km respectively).
- An all-new CVT transmission and optimization of the cooperative control system between engine and CVT have improved fuel economy by 0.8 km/L to 16.0 km/L in two-wheel drive models and by 0.2 km/L to 14.6 km/L in four-wheel drive models based on JC08 mode. This gives Outlander one of the best environmental performances in its class*2.*2: Compared with other makes with the same engine displacement.6. Other changes
- Acceleration and response from a full stop in urban environments as well as on the move has been improved after revising the plug-in hybrid EV and motor control systems.
- All trim levels (except the M) come with an Unintentional Vehicle Move Off Control system available as a factory option. On both forward and reverse gears it operates to mitigate impact damage by controlling speed when the driver presses the accelerator by mistake and inadvertently moves off either forward or backward when there is another vehicle or obstacle in the way.
- All trim levels (except the M) have available as a factory standard a Multi-around Monitor which assists the driver when parking or maneuvering in tight spaces by giving a bird's eye view of the vehicle perimeter.
- The G Premium Package top trim level is fitted with a 100V AC on-board socket as standard equipment which can be used to supply up to 1500W of electricity from the car's drive battery to serve as a power source for electrical equipment when enjoying outdoor pursuits or for domestic appliances in an emergency (available as a factory option on other trim levels).
- All trim levels come standard with a power adjust driver's seat. Also standard on all trim levels (except the M) is a Steering Heater which warms up the steering wheel when temperatures are cold to make for more comfortable driving.
- An all-new CVT and optimization of the cooperative control between engine and CVT have improved acceleration performance across the full rev range to deliver a more linear response as engine speed increases.II. Sales Information1. Targeted sales volume for FY2015 (Japan market)1) Outlander PHEV:1,000 units/month2) Outlander:200 units/month2. Manufacturer's suggested retail sales price(consumption tax included, excluding recycling cost, insurance, and taxes other than consumption tax or registration cost):"
Trim Level Drive Vehicle Price(consumption tax incl.) Eco-car TaxReduction (For reference)Incentive forPromotion ofIntroduction of CleanEnergy Vehicles Acquisitiontax Weighttax M 4WD ¥3,596,400 Tax exempt(100% tax reduction) ¥290,000 max. G Safety Package ¥3,882,600 G Navi Package ¥4,233,600 G Premium Package ¥4,590,000
Trim Level Engine Transmission Drive Vehicle Price(consumptiontax incl.) Eco-car TaxReduction AcquisitionTax WeightTax 20G 2.0L MIVEC SOHC 16-valve inline 4-cylinder INVECS-IIICVTwith 6-speedsport mode 2WD ¥2,519,640 40% 25% 20GSafety Package ¥2,617,920 40% 25% 24G 2.4L MIVEC SOHC 16-valveinline 4-cylinder 4WD ¥2,791,800 40% 25% 24GSafety Package ¥2,890,080 40% 25% 24GNavi Package ¥3,211,920 40% 25%