GM Had To Rely What Was Left In Inventory Of The First Generation Of Chevrolet Volt As The Next Generation/2016s Failed To Materialize On Dealer Lots In September
Heading into September, we had expected the imminent arrival of the next generation, 2016 Chevrolet Volt to help kick start what would be a very strong end of the year selling season.
And despite the first 2016 car being added to Volt stats (via its owner, and GM marketing director Cristi Landy) during the month, no actual cars were delivered despite hundreds (thousands?) being produced.
The end result was 949 new copies of the "old" Volt were sold. A five month low for the brand, and off 32% from a year ago.
Overall, 9,264 Volts have been sold this year, which is off 36.3% from the 14,540 sold in 2014 through September.
Getting back to those 2016 Volts; rather than new cars making their way to customers and dealers, completed Volts piled up in a protracted quality control hold - with some very early California orders actually getting re-assigned/rebuilt.
However, we can report that all that is behind us, and 2016 Volts are now in fact leaving 'quality assurance' and are weaving their way to California (and possibly the 10 other states eligible to receive the 2016 model), while production of the extended range car at GM's Hamtramck facility appears to now be in full swing.
Nutshell: September = bad, October = good, at least in regards to sales.
We also heard news from GM's 2016 new model launch that the 2016 Volt will be getting a couple new ad spots focusing on the car's abilities over that of other top selling/green-favorites, the Toyota Prius and Nissan LEAF.
Watch those ads now - here.
“We’re going to go head-to-head with Leaf and Prius. The ads allow Chevrolet to talk in one way and they allow Chevrolet’s personality to come through. We’re going to be taking more risks,”Tim Mahoney - Chevy Global Marketing boss.
GM Launched 2016 Chevrolet Volt Configurator In September
Also of interest in regards to plug-ins at GM this month:
- Cadillac ELR sales notched just 36 copies in September - a new low for the year as inventory of the old 2014 MY cars has been almost totally exhausted now, and not many 2016s have yet arrived
- Spark EV continues to amaze by selling 157 copies in September - almost exhausting the inventory completely ahead of arrival of 2016s from South Korea
- 2016 Chevrolet Volt online configurator went online
- GM stated that only 11 states will be getting the 2016 Volt, before the 2017 model year edition starts national production in February of 2017 with "additional content"
- Chevrolet Bolt made its first "west coast" appearance in LA for Drive Electric Week
- Report: Chevrolet Bolt headed to Europe, but no RHD (right hand drive) will be made
- Canada still gets 2016 MY Volts - will arrive in November