Volkswagen Passat GTE
Volkswagen Passat GTE (and the longer Variant version) finally are available for immediate delivery at dealerships nationwide in Germany (from €44,250).
With over 6,500 VW Passats sold in Germany in August alone and over 65,000 in the first eight months of 2015, even a small share of around 1% for GTE would lead to 1,000+ sales annually. But it's possible that the largest demand will come from outside Germany, like in the case of the Golf GTE.
Overall, the Passat GTE looks almost like any ordinary Passat, but there are few details unique to GTE:
"The GTE's main distinguishing features externally are its C-shaped LED daytime running lights and a blue bar across the radiator grille that extends into the headlights. There are special GTE features inside as well, such as an instrument cluster with power meter and an infotainment system with a menu matrix for functions and displays specific to each drive system.
Many of the Passat GTE's functions can optionally be controlled and monitored via smart phone using the 'Car-Net e-Remote' app. These include charging the battery, activating the air-conditioning functions or seeing where the car was last parked. The prices for the Passat GTE start at €45,250 for the estate and €44,250 for the saloon."
Thanks to plug-in capability, it can go up to 50 km (31 miles) in all-electric mode under NEDC (probably more like 20 miles in the real world).
- 1.4-litre TSI turbocharged direct-injection petrol engine delivering 115 kW / 156 PS
- electric motor 85 kW / 115 PS and 400 Nm (243 lb-ft)
- system output 160 kW / 219 PS
- up to 50 km (31 miles) all-electric range (NEDC) and more than 1,100 km (680 miles) total
- 9.9 kWh lithium-ion battery
- 130 km/h (81 mph) top speed in EV mode and 225 km/h (140 mph) with ICE on