Electric Ford

Electric Ford

According to IPWatchdog.com, US automakers lead in the number of patents related with electric vehicles, ahead of Japan.

Value of particular patents matter more than number of patents, so we shouldn't make too far-reaching conclusions.

Interesting is that Ford alone holds some 18%. Together with General Motors' 14.5%, the 2 U.S. automakers have 32.5%.

Tesla Motors registered just 3.3% of all EV patents and Nissan isn't far above with 4.0%. But can it be true that Nissan is so far behind Honda, Toyota and even Hyundai, or is it more likely that Nissan isn't too concerned with registering patents?

  • 18.0% Ford (459)
  • 14.5% General Motors
  • 10.0% Honda
  • 7.9% Toyota
  • 6.5% Hitachi
  • 6.1% Hyundai
  • 5.0% General Electric
  • 4.9% LG Chem
  • 4.0% Nissan
  • 3.3% Tesla Motors
  • 3.1% Denso
  • 2.7% Panasonic
  • 2.3% Fiat Chrysler
  • 1.9% Daimler
  • 1.7% Mitsubishi Electric
  • 1.6% Aisin Seiki
  • 1.5% Toshiba
  • 1.4% Exelon
  • 1.4% Mitsubishi Motors
  • 1.4% Midtronics
Source: IPWatchdog.com