The Limited Edition Interior Is Little Changed From The Premium SEL Trim Level - Cloth Seats Replace "Leatherette"
When the Volkswagen e-Golf first came to the United States we had expected to see a few trim levels of the car, similar to what was offered in Europe.
As it turned out, only the premium, fully loaded e-Golf SEL (details) was available on the debut. The price? $35,445
Today however, that changes as VW has announced a somewhat
cheaper less expensive model - the "e-Golf Limited Edition model", priced at $33,450.
Editor's Note: Using our automaker decoder ring, "Limited Edition" usually means 'limited to how many we can sell', so we don't think anyone should be worried this offering will be available only for a short time.
VW features a national lease deal on both cars: $299 for the SEL Premium ($2,000 due at signing), and $229 on the Limited Edition.
In most ways, the car is functionally the same: 24.2 kWh lithium-ion battery, 115 hp, 199 lb-ft of torque.
VW even states the same efficiency and range specs on the car:
- MPGe: 126 city/105 highway - 116 combined,
- 83 mile EPA range
VW notes the other differences between the trim levels, "Changes compared with the SEL Premium models include 16-inch steel wheels in place of aluminum-alloys, halogen instead of LED headlights, cloth in place of leatherette seating surfaces."
So, is the de-contenting worth saving $2,000? We think for a lot of customers it will be. Our only advice to those who live in the northern United States - get the SEL, the more efficient heat-pump system is worth it.
Let's Play Spot The Changes (Limited Edition On Left, Premium SEL On Right)
Full VW media press release below:
VOLKSWAGEN ANNOUNCES A NEW TRIM LINE FOR THE FULLY-ELECTRIC 2015 e-GOLF
Mar 5, 2015
Herndon, VA – Volkswagen of America, Inc., today, announced that a lower-priced version of the fully-electric 2015 Volkswagen e-Golf will go on sale at participating dealerships. The 2015 e-Golf Limited Edition is priced nearly $2,000 less than its SEL counterpart at $33,450, without compromising performance, quality, or versatility. The e-Golf Limited Edition is also available at a monthly lease price of $229, plus applicable fees.
- e-Golf Limited Edition model goes on sale with a starting price of $33,450
- Drivetrain consists of 24.2 kWh lithium-ion battery and an electric motor with 199 pound-feet of torque; 7.2 kW onboard charger is standard
- Standard fast charging capability allows up to 80 percent battery charge in 30 minutes
- EPA estimated fuel economy rating of 116 combined MPGe puts e-Golf at top of the 2015 EPA Compact Size Class
- A great value, with a host of features that include KESSY® Keyless access with push-button start, navigation system, LED Daytime Running Lights (DRL) with C-shaped light signature, and more
The e-Golf Limited Edition is built on the same sporty Modular Transverse Matrix (MQB) platform as the rest of the award winning Golf family. It is powered by a compact electric motor and a 24.2 kWh lithium-ion battery (built in-house at the Volkswagen facility in Braunschweig, Germany), and offers 115 horsepower and class-leading torque of 199 pound feet.
Changes compared with the SEL Premium models include 16-inch steel wheels in place of aluminum-alloys, halogen instead of LED headlights, cloth in place of leatherette seating surfaces, and deletion of the heat-pump system. Equipment and features that remain unchanged from the SEL Premium model include:
- DC Fast Charging with the Combined Charging System (CCS) that allows up to 80 percent battery charge in 30 minutes
- Standard 7.2kW onboard charger
- Versatile cargo area, with 22.8 cubic feet of space behind the rear seats; 52.7 cubic feet with seats folded
- Three driving profiles designed to preserve energy (“Normal”, “Eco”, and “Eco+”) and three driver-selectable regeneration modes
- KESSY® keyless access with push-button start
- Navigation system
- LED Daytime Running Lights
- Climatronic® automatic dual-zone climate control system
- Electronic parking brake
- Electrically heated windshield
- Automatic headlights and wipers
- Rearview camera
- Front and rear Park Distance Control