NRG eVgo Freedom Station
NRG eVgo recently announced plans to expand its network of fast charging stations, which according to the press release is the largest in the nation.
Over the next two years, NRG eVgo will install stations in another 15 national markets (on top of the current 10).
In 2014, the number of customers across the network increased 20-fold, although NRG eVgo didin't reveal any actual numbers. Station use in the last three months of 2014 grew by 135% over the previous three months.
"eVgo makes it easier than ever for EV drivers to access a network of reliable, user-friendly charging solutions located at homes, work and convenient retail locations. The eVgo network can charge all of the more than 300,000 EVs on the road from 13 auto manufacturers. The network includes powerful fast chargers that approach the speed of traditional gas pumps providing approximately 40 miles of range in just 15 minutes of charging. Drivers can easily locate charging station locations with an interactive map on the eVgo website and most active eVgo stations feature 24/7 customer service."
Arun Banskota, president of NRG eVgo stated:
“NRG’s strategic expansion of our eVgo network integrates a family of in-home and away-from-home chargers to meet the needs of consumers who drive a variety of electric vehicles. The continued growth of the eVgo network provides range confidence to electric vehicle drivers and the growing number of consumers who are ready to embrace the EV movement and take a fresh look at their personal transportation. We are meeting the daily fueling demands of EV drivers in some of the country’s largest markets, and we look forward to providing these services nationally, in partnership with auto manufacturers and dealers, retail partners and work places.”
The plan is to more than double the number of markets it serves in 2015 and 2016. Tennessee soon will get its first five stations and NRG eVgo finally will start covering some major corridors including San Diego to Seattle, and Miami to Boston.
"As it enters 2015, NRG eVgo is aggressively working to meet the needs and growth patterns of each region it serves with superior customer service. In particular:
- California – One of the country’s earliest adopters of electric vehicles, the Golden State has more than 120 Fast Chargers, the highest number of Fast Chargers amongst all providers in California.
- Chicago – In the heart of the Midwest, eVgo is hard at work restoring existing Fast Charger stations, positioning itself for network expansion and making it truly comprehensive. There are 26 chargers in the Chicago area, and the company is adding more.
- Texas –The Lone Star State has nearly 50 eVgo charging stations online in the North Texas and greater Houston areas, continuing to meet customer demand in the two largest EV markets in Texas.
- Atlanta – Atlanta is one of the fastest growing metropolitan markets for EV sales, and eVgo is helping and simplifying consumers and businesses use of electric vehicles. Atlanta already has 12 Fast charging stations, and we have plans to add many more.
- Mid-Atlantic Region – eVgo chargers can be found in major metropolitan areas covering portions of Washington D.C. Virginia, and Maryland. This area currently has 24 active eVgo stations with another one expected to be online by the end of the month."
Most of sites have DC fast charger (CHAdeMO) and AC L2, while some have DC Combo.