McLaren P1 - Looking Good Outside Our Hotel During The Geneva Motor Show In March
Taking a break from the hard and fast news cycle of the week, we are stepping back for something a little less precise - "The Top 10 Best Looking EVs On Sale Today".
Just Missing The List At #11, The Kia Soul EV
And rather than just put out a list myself representing InsideEVs, we opened it up to all the writers (and a few important unseen, yet vital cogs in the machine) to submit a "Top 10" list of their own to form a consensus.
Just as a disclaimer about the who, what, why and how of qualifying, here are the rules to make the list:
- the EV must be in production today
- the EV must be mass-produced
- the EV must appear on at least 50% of the ballots
- the average finish decides ranking
Spoiler: To find out the correct "Top 10" list, scroll to the bottom to find my own picks
Tesla Model S In Hong Kong
1. Tesla Model S (8 - 1st Place Votes): Clean, proportional lines takes the day again.
The race for first was very tight, in fact there was three vehicles all quite close in the voting for the top spot. In the end the Model S finished first by virtue of appearing on all ballots (the only EV to do so)
BMW i8 Gets The Blade Runner Treatment By YasidDesign
2. BMW i8 (8 - 1st Place Votes): Funky doors, supercar sensibilities.
Showing just how close the race for first was, the BMW just missed scoring the top spot as both it and the Tesla had the identical amount of 1st and 2nd place nods.
Just Kidding, The Mitsu i-MiEV Failed To Impress The Judges (Photo: Mitsubishi Japan Promotional Video Screencap)
Mitsubishi i-MiEV - Is An Electric Car ... that didn't make the list
Not Your Dad's Cadillac
3. Cadillac ELR (2 - 1st Place Votes): GM showed us the extended range Converj Concept at the 2009 NAIAS in Detroit - then they went ahead and didn't change a thing other than to give it a new name in production. We would give our left arm for GM to scrap the next generation of ELR and just rebadge it as Chevy Volt 2.0, sight unseen.
The race for the medal positions were much closer than expected, and to the Cadillac ELR's credit it manage score the vast majority of its votes in the top 3 spots.
"Hey, Look At Me!"
4. Porsche 918 Spyder: (2 - 1st Place Votes): Hi, I'm a $845,000 supercar that can both plug-in and zip to 60 mph in 2.5 second...and I look it.
Given its lofty pricetag and elite status, one might assume the 918 should have finished higher, or much lower in the rankings, it all depends if you feel it should eligible for the list at all - something our writer's struggled with. Ultimately, the fact Porsche is making 918 of the them saw it make the cut.
Strongest Looker (and best selling) Of All The Plug-In Fords - The Fusion Energi
5. Ford Fusion Energi: The highest ranking everyman's EV, the plug-in Ford appeared on more than 2/3rds of all ballots, with most results showing the Fusion solidly in the middle of the pack - although it also netted itself a couple 2nd place votes as well.
Panamera S e-Hybrid - No One Sells More Plug-Ins With A Starting Price Of $100,000 Than Porsche
6. Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid: Another premium EV unsurprisingly made the top 10 for "best looking". For those who chose to vote for the Porsche, none placed it lower than 6th - a feat no other EV managed.
Chevrolet Volt - America's Best Selling Plug-In Still Appeals To Our Crew
7. Chevrolet Volt: America's first mass produced EV is apparently still a favorite to see on the streets. While only 1 vote put the Chevy in the top 3 it did make onto more than 80% of all lists.
Fiat 500e - People Really Like The Style Of The 500 Cars. What New?
8. Fiat 500e: Unsurprisingly, the electric Fiat shows up on the list - those who like the Italian styling, seem to like it a lot.
2015 Ford Focus Electric Catches Our Eye - Just Not Our Pocket Books
9. Ford Focus EV: Ok, we did not see this one coming, but the Focus EV showed up on 66% of the ballots (but mostly near the bottom) pushing it into the Top 10. Goes to show you, if Ford marketed (or stocked) this car a little more (or at all), it could be a much stronger seller than the 100-odd copies it sells every month in the US.
Checking In At Number 10 - The BMW i3
10.) BMW i3: The most polarizing of any car on the list, the BMW i3 received a high volume of 'bottom of the pack' votes, enough for it to just eek out a win for the last spot. It should be noted that 3 persons declared if the i3 made the cut they wanted psych evals on those who voted for it (more or less)
Now as promised, my own "Top 10 Best Looking EVs On Sale Today"
Please, Don't Everyone Agree With Me All At Once
Feel free to share your own "Top 10" ...if you dare