Tesla Model S Debuts In Hong Kong In July (along with a couple of Supercharging Stations)
In a press release, Tesla Motors announced the following will take place soon in Hong Kong:
- Employ additional 50 workers
- Move to new 10,000 square-foot office
- Assign country director for Hong Kong
"...registration tax exemption in Hong Kong means that Tesla can offer its products at relatively competitive prices. The Hong Kong government seems to be highly receptive on the wide-scale use of electric vehicles..."
Here’s the pricing breakdown for the Model S in Hong Kong:
- 60 kWh Tesla Model S: HK $579,000 or $74,650 USD
- 85 kWh Tesla Model S: HK $657,000 or $84,706 USD
- P85 Tesla Model S: HK $761,800 or $ 98,218 USD
The cheaper prices in Hong Kong (as compared to China) are due to shipping costs, high duties and taxes that are present in China, but which don’t exist to the same extent in Hong Kong.
Tesla claims to have hundreds of pre-orders for the Model S in Hong Kong. Deliveries are now underway.