Volkswagen Golf GTE
Volkswagen now has nearly every possible version of its Golf model available. Gas, diesel, natural gas, all electric, and now even a gas plug in hybrid version called the Golf GTE. The only noticeable differences in each version would be the unique badging, instrument clusters, minor alterations and, or course, source of propulsion.
Volkswagen Golf GTE - Interior
Autocar UK gets a test drive of the GTE, which is the plug-In hybrid version and, as expected, this PHEV is easy to recommend to buyers.
It's just as if you were to get into a traditional ICE vehicle, says Autocar. Start up, buckle up, and drive off. However, you can tinker with 5 different available driving modes, in which case the gas engine will likely not be running upon start-up until it is needed or desired.
This ease of driving/operating is exactly what most VW customers demand. In regards to power, the electric motor is capable of providing most of the motivation required of typical driving.
Furthermore, Autocar's test showed that the Golf GTE moves from electric to gas with smooth transitions throughout, no jerkiness or shutters. The electric motor provides a welcome boast of power and the engine has a pleasing exhaust sound.
Autocar even goes so far as to say that the GTE may be the best Golf ever produced, despite it being a bit heaver than a traditional Golf and having a bit less cargo space in the rear.
- A Turbocharged 1.4L four cylinder direct injected gas engine in tandem with an electric motor.
- 6-speed automatic dual clutch transmission (DQ400) with the electric motor "mounted in forward section of transmission."
- A total output of 204 bhp & 258 LB-FT of torque. (limited to prevent overworking the clutch packs)
- 8.7kWh Lithium-Ion battery pack, Gas tank size down to 40 liters from 50 liters.
- Like the all electric version, the cargo area's floor is slightly raised, losing a little bit cargo space.
- An all electric range of a ~ 31 miles (NEDC) and a combined 584 miles of range using gas and electric.
- 5 different driving modes: E, GTE, Battery Hold, Battery charge, and Hybrid Mode.
- 0-62mph in 7.6sec & top speed of 138 mph in GTE mode. 81 mph in E-Mode.
- 188 mpge. CO2 35g/km.
- Curb weight of 1524 kg.
- A 2-4 hour charging time depending on charging setup. Obviously gas engine and regenerative braking will recharge battery pack.
- Charger located in front grille behind the VW emblem.
Volkswagen Golf GTE - Charge port behind VW Emblem.
Pricing in the UK is to start at around £28,000 and orders will begin in November of 2014.
Source: Autocar UK