According to 4WheelsNews, German automaker Porsche reportedly filed a patent application and submitted a sketch for a Porsche 911 plug-in hybrid.
Official details are non-existent at this time, but we suspect that the 911 PHEV will utilize technology similar (though the gas engine will likely be different) to what's found in the Porsche Panamera S E-Hybrid.
Basic Panamera S E-Hybrid specs include:
- 95 hp electric motor
- Electricity is stored in a 9.4-kWh lithium-ion battery pack
- Top speed in electric-only mode is 84 mph
- Top speed 167 mph with the gas engine cranking
- Panamera S E-hybrid accelerates from 0 to 60 mph in 5.2 seconds
Other reports suggest that perhaps Porsche will fit the 911 PHEV with tech borrowed from the radical Porsche 918 Spyder. The Porsche 918 Spyder specs include:
- 0 to 62 MPH in 2.5 seconds
- 0 to 124 MPH in 7.2 seconds
- 0 to 62 MPH in Electric-Only Mode 6.2 seconds or 6.1 With the Upgraded Weissach Package
- 0 to 186 MPH in 19.9 seconds
- 4.6-Liter V8 Puts Out 599 HP
- Total Power From Engine and 2 Electric Motors is 875 HP at 8,500 RPM
2015 Porsche 911 Targa