One "Smart Grid" Solution Is The Battery at the Demonstration Site for Japan-U.S. Island Grid Project in Hawaii
What drives electricity peaks in America? Hint - it is not your local industry, but probably you. The greatest variance of power usage comes from the residential sector. (Check out this article on the subject for more details)
Now S&C, which is a provider of electric power systems founded out of Chicago, has put together a bullet point response to the ongoing increase in residential power usage with the advent of electric cars.
EVs and the power grids:
- Utilities need to plan for the potential growth in peak demand should more people buy EVs.
- Consumer expectations for electric service reliability will also grow significantly if they are relying on electricity to power their vehicles, in addition to other equipment in their homes.
- To prepare their grids for more EVs on the road, utilities can adopt new smart grid solutions.
Smart grid solutions provide the following benefits:
This A123 Grid Storage Solutions Shows What Can Be Done To Add Capacity In Areas That Need It In A Hurry
- Effectively increase capacity with grid optimization technology that reduces the amount of electricity wasted on its way from the generating plant to the end user.
- Integrate energy storage to support increased peak loads without adding additional and expensive generating capacity
- Improve electric service reliability to ensure EV owners can count on having the energy--electricity--that they need to run their cars. Self-healing smart grids will reroute power wherever possible around power system disturbances to reduce the scope and duration of power outages.